NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Hooks for musky - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-04-2018, 07:36 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Hooks for musky

So I'm gonna target musky this fall. I got a bull dog and noticed that the hooks shanks are long enough to let the hooks cross. I was going to swap out for shorter shank vmc, but maybe the longer shank is needed to hook to create distance between the bait and the points to hook up. Not to mention, the hooks look prone to bending (coming from a striped bass fisher) Any thoughts on hooks for musky baits?
Old 07-05-2018, 01:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Hooks for musky

I've used all kinds of hooks for muskies, and believe it or not, Eagle Claw makes one of the best. It's the Eagle Claw 374 treble. They're 2x strong which is plenty. I've had lots of big fish on them, including one 53 inches, and they've never bent. They're actually my #1 hook. The curve in the point seems to keep fish pinned a little better too. For a regular size Bulldawg, the 4/0 or 5/0 374 would be best. For Mag or Pounder Bulldawgs, I'd go with the big Mustad 3551's. Good luck on your musky hunting. Make sure you have a proper net, leave the fish in the water when you unhook and practice CPR.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Take the rear hook and bury one of its tines into the bottom of the tail section so front treble is free swinging and rear one remains embedded/secure in plastisol......will not disrupt any hooking percentage......
Old 07-08-2018, 10:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishonthelake View Post
Good luck on your musky hunting. Make sure you have a proper net, leave the fish in the water when you unhook and practice CPR.
I definitely second that! Guys look at me wierd when I'm doing the CPR in the water before taking the fish out for a picture. Even when I get stuck with no net, regardless of the size of the fish, he's in the water getting unhooked and catching breath before the photo op.
Also agree with Muskynut. I had a big dawg 316 and burrying one of the hooks from the back treble helped out for exactly what you're inquiring about. Good luck, and hope to see some pics!!