NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

GARMIN SV vs HUMMINBIRD VS LOWRANCE - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-17-2015, 04:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default GARMIN SV vs HUMMINBIRD VS LOWRANCE

In the process of buying a new fish finder & looking for input.

Looking @ the GARMIN SV94 vs HUMMINBIRD & LOWRANCE. Always been a GARMIN guy & the new SV series looks like the ticket.

Anyone out there have the new SV, looking for some feed back on how it is performing...
Old 08-17-2015, 04:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: GARMIN SV vs HUMMINBIRD VS LOWRANCE

in the lower units its all about the same, as you go up the big difference is in the mapping and charts between lakemaster and navionics. I run 2 highend humminbirds and overall I feel they are the best units, but the 2D sonar in high end goes to lowrance hands down, humminbird leaves something to be desired in their side imaging units, but the side, chart, down is better than lowrance, so it depends on what you want to compromise on. for me I can tell what anything is on 2D sonar even in black+white so everything else matters to me much more. I have seen the garmins and they look very nice and hear good things about them, not sure if you are going above basic and want chartplotting/charts, I think the have lakevu on their units Id take a look at what that gives you. right now w lakemaster and navionics you get good maps of LH, GWL, and Monks, all the rest have not been mapped and they are 3D versions of the state lake maps. Both lowrance and humminbird give you a way to map your own lake chart, but its pricey equipment wise, so you gotta do your homework. humminbird is the only game in town if you run ipilot or ilink, so Im stuck with them I cant fish without my ulterra
Old 08-17-2015, 10:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I am a Lowrance guy have been for a long time.....my electronics are easily worth more than my boat. They all have their issues.......but the customer service at lowrance is no where near as good as hummingbird. Lowrance no longer repairs units.....so if you are out of the 2 yr warranty you get a unit at a deep discount. Some people like it some dont. The wifi features of the new lowrance gen3's are pretty sick.......you can download maps, software updates, view and control the unit with your phone or tablet. Do your homework!!!!!!! The technology is there no matter the unit.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Solid advice given here so far... I did a lot of research before I purchased and I went with a pair of Lowrance Gen 2 Touch HDS 12's plus the wifi interface. As mentioned, not cheap but they are what I personally found was best. That said, Jimmy makes a very good point about the trolling motor interface. I upgraded motors at the same time as the unit and got a Motorguide Xi5 which is a very sweet combo with the Lowrance units. If you're tied to Minn Kota, the Humminbird has the distinct advantage there since Lowrance won't control the Minn Kotas.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:59 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I can't tell what brand to pick, but my advise would be to look hard at the down scan and side imaging units. I find myself wishing over and over for side imaging ability. Fishing for bass I'm almost always wanting to know what is off to the side of the boat. Once I have passed over it, it's too late for me. If trolling is your thing, side imaging may be less important since what you pass over is the next thing your lines will be passing. Each manufacturer has it's own implementation of this technology, so be sure to price out everything you need to make it happen.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper-6 View Post
be sure to price out everything you need to make it happen.
Very true - depending on how many units you have and how they are networked, including trolling motor, you can easily add a few hundred dollars in cables, mounts, etc.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

In order to make your own maps you need the higher $$ end units or you can download Reefmaster software and make your own. The state maps are crude by comparison with what you can do on your own. It's the difference between 10 ft and 1 ft increments. Bottom hardness is an option.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I use humminbird on my boat, great customer service and a great product...
Old 08-20-2015, 04:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: GARMIN SV vs HUMMINBIRD VS LOWRANCE

I have an older Eagle(lowrance) gps fish finder combo, works great 10 plus years. I bought a new Hummingbird helix 5 (?) with down imaging color and is really nice. 1 button scrolls through all screen. GPS is EZ to use and FF is all automatic.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

if u plan on using side scan and or down scan get the biggest screen you can get/afford. also note that unless your fishing shallow or reservoirs u cant see much on sidescan, muck bottom soaks up the side signal. I fish mainly stripers so I use it to see bait balls and schools, otherwise Id honestly have no use for sidescan, and I use downscan practically never. If you fish shallow you can see alot on sidescan but past the main drop most waters turn to muck but reservoirs and rocky bottoms you can see as deep as the bottom returns