NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Sea Bass- I need help! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:09 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Angry Sea Bass- I need help!

I'm looking for some recommendations on where to get these sea bass and what bait to use. I went to the mud buoy area last weekend, was using squid and spearing and didn't do that well. What am I doing wrong?
Old 06-06-2019, 07:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Sea Bass- I need help!

Hey Jersey Mike,
I am no expert but last weekend the were plenty of C-Bass on Sea Girt Reef.
You don't even need to anchor, just drift areas. You may find ling and whiting in the mix as well. Use fresh clam or combine it with a teaser (sand eel) or what ever and you should be good to go. Simple high low rig or fluke style bucktail. Clam was better the artificial for me in past. I also add a little glow bead for good measure. Try it out and see how you do.

Also, this site has a sponsor the Ocean Explorer, Bobby the captain posted some rig pics of what has been working for those guys on his trips. If you scroll to some recent past reports you will see the example he shows.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:00 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

By now, there will be Sea Bass in rocky bottom areas between Sea Bright and Elberon in water from 50 to 75 feet.. Really just head out that way and you'll see dozens of boats scouting or fishing... Just check your depth finder and you'll see the fish concentrations, often around bait .. You should have no trouble finding fish out there now.. Either that, or jump on a party boat ..

If fishing in a private boat, I would bring clams as well as Squid, but Sea Bass will hit either most days. If you find a good school of them a jig and teaser is great as well, IF they are active.. bob
Old 06-06-2019, 09:53 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
By now, there will be Sea Bass in rocky bottom areas between Sea Bright and Elberon in water from 50 to 75 feet.. Really just head out that way and you'll see dozens of boats scouting or fishing... Just check your depth finder and you'll see the fish concentrations, often around bait .. You should have no trouble finding fish out there now.. Either that, or jump on a party boat ..

If fishing in a private boat, I would bring clams as well as Squid, but Sea Bass will hit either most days. If you find a good school of them a jig and teaser is great as well, IF they are active.. bob
What Bob said, try rock bottoms, reefs, snags and watch your depth finder closely for bait and fish marks right off the bottom...

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 06-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Site Sponsor

Probably a great start would be to obtain the free Guide to NJ Artificial Reefs available on NJ DEP Fish & Game website. Download the PDF. It has all the exact coordinates for the hundreds of wrecks, rock piles, etc. where sea bass and other groundfish live. This time of the year, sea bass can be found from shallows of 35-40 feet to deeper spots of 90+ feet. Depending on where you sail from, there are a number of inshore artificial reefs to try!
Also, I know it's a ways off, but I have been doing a beginner-intermediate-advanced seminar on sea bass fishing at the Edison Saltwater Expo in February or March. Assuming they sponsor me again, I hope to see you there - it's free too!
Have fun catching them - and be mindful of the seasons and bag limits!
(609) 731-3742
www.mushinsportfishing.com
Inshore-Offshore-Charters and Open Boat

Check us out on Facebook for more pictures and details about our trips and catches!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mushi...20121731393091
Old 06-06-2019, 02:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

PM sent
Old 06-13-2019, 01:13 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Workin View Post
Hey Jersey Mike,
I am no expert but last weekend the were plenty of C-Bass on Sea Girt Reef.
You don't even need to anchor, just drift areas. You may find ling and whiting in the mix as well. Use fresh clam or combine it with a teaser (sand eel) or what ever and you should be good to go. Simple high low rig or fluke style bucktail. Clam was better the artificial for me in past. I also add a little glow bead for good measure. Try it out and see how you do.

Also, this site has a sponsor the Ocean Explorer, Bobby the captain posted some rig pics of what has been working for those guys on his trips. If you scroll to some recent past reports you will see the example he shows.
How do you fish with clams without anchoring? Do you still use weight to get to the bottom? Or are you talking using a bucktail bouncing off the bottom? Im new to wreck fishing.

Last edited by OceanBeachBrian; 06-13-2019 at 01:20 AM..
Old 06-13-2019, 06:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBeachBrian View Post
How do you fish with clams without anchoring? Do you still use weight to get to the bottom? Or are you talking using a bucktail bouncing off the bottom? Im new to wreck fishing.
Just drift the seabass rig. very effective way to cover some ground and put some meat in the boat. I fished yesterday. I did way better with the clams then I did with the Jig. Go with some small pieces of clams. You will get em

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Drifted the Mud buoy area yesterday. 50+ sea bass 2 dogs 2 skates and a robin. 6 nice keepers around 16-17 inches. Also a bonus of a large whale coming up 50 feet from my boat. What a sight.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:56 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife1980 View Post
Just drift the seabass rig. very effective way to cover some ground and put some meat in the boat. I fished yesterday. I did way better with the clams then I did with the Jig. Go with some small pieces of clams. You will get em
https://www.google.com/search?q=sea+...4u8p6rpHXtlvM:

do you mean that?