NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

best lure of all time -river walleyes and SMB - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-08-2019, 11:01 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: best lure of all time -river walleyes and SMB

Thanks BB. I sure will give these a shot. I think I may even have some at home in the tackle closet.

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths"
Old 01-08-2019, 11:18 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

eh, idk, i go blade bait 90% of the time in cold water for walleye and smb. twister tails are def a great all around lure though, used to use them more, but other stuff seems to work better for me a lot of the time. i also don't fish the rivers that often for them either so my comments are more for lake/reservoir fishing. wouldn't mind going side by side blade bait vs. twister tail though!
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 01-08-2019, 04:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
eh, idk, i go blade bait 90% of the time in cold water for walleye and smb. twister tails are def a great all around lure though, used to use them more, but other stuff seems to work better for me a lot of the time. i also don't fish the rivers that often for them either so my comments are more for lake/reservoir fishing. wouldn't mind going side by side blade bait vs. twister tail though!
I use blade baits as well in the lakes, and do well with them.... The twisters are much better in rocky streams for me.. As I said, I fish them right in the rocks, getting hung a lot.. I believe fish mistake them for critters that live under rocks.. There is all kinds of creepy crawly things in the rocks in creeks, streams and rivers, and those curly tail grubs seem to imitate that stuff well. Why they like that bright unnatural chartreuse color so much i have NO idea..bob
Old 01-08-2019, 07:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Probably stands out and causes reaction bites

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths"
Old 01-12-2019, 08:04 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Hello all,
In my opinion the curly tail grub is the best in the Delaware river. I mostly target smallmouth and have found the colors of pumpkin seed, green pumpkin seed, and watermelon seed to work the best. Some days they prefer one color over the other. Typically on an 1/8oz jig head(painted or unpainted). 1/4oz in deeper water.
And i have caught everything on the grub. smallmouth, largemouth, stripers, catfish, walleye, trout, and muskie etc... Whether it is clear or stained or downright muddy it works.
I am always trying different lures looking for the Next Best Thing but usually come back to the curly tail grub.
As for chartreuse, I never really gave it a try but I will now. Just picked some up and might give it a try today on the river for some walleye.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatepredator View Post
Hello all,
In my opinion the curly tail grub is the best in the Delaware river. I mostly target smallmouth and have found the colors of pumpkin seed, green pumpkin seed, and watermelon seed to work the best. Some days they prefer one color over the other. Typically on an 1/8oz jig head(painted or unpainted). 1/4oz in deeper water.
And i have caught everything on the grub. smallmouth, largemouth, stripers, catfish, walleye, trout, and muskie etc... Whether it is clear or stained or downright muddy it works.
I am always trying different lures looking for the Next Best Thing but usually come back to the curly tail grub.
As for chartreuse, I never really gave it a try but I will now. Just picked some up and might give it a try today on the river for some walleye.
Yep.. Rocky rivers is where those lures excel.. Nothing else works as well, except maybe live bait, but actually I usually outfish the few bait fishermen I encounter up here on the Susky.. All the colors you mentioned are quite good.. i call them "neutrals".. they are colored more like a crayfish, hellgrammite, or Sculpin etc.. However, for me, I have found that typically, but not every single time of , I draw more strikes with bright chartreuse day in and out.. Always exceptions, but yeah, add some chartreuse to the mix, please let me know how it works for you... bob
Old 01-13-2019, 01:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Back in the day, no, back many decades ago--the Golden Years, '70s--that's all I used for smb. Three-inch yellow Mister Twister grubs. Stony Brook, Princeton, when that stream was LOADED with bass and nobody fished them...but me. Dozens upon dozens, hundreds and hundreds of bass. Hell with the jig head. I mounted them on a plain shank size 2 hook. Just right, so that on retrieve, the Twister rode straight and did not wobble.

Yellow was it. I used nothing else.

And just enough weight to get an OK cast--all I needed on that brook--with an ultralight.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If i use yellow on the susquehanna I don't even get a touch.. so strange... bob
Old 01-14-2019, 01:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Maybe if I used black...I would have caught more?

(I liked yellow. That worked, so why not?)
Old 01-14-2019, 08:23 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Litton View Post
Maybe if I used black...I would have caught more?

(I liked yellow. That worked, so why not?)
Just trying to point out the fact that for whatever reason some colors simply don't work at all for some anglers.. I can't get a sniff on a yellow grub, never could, while you regularly kicked ass with them..

Not saying you would or could have
"caught more" on another color. I just know that while it worked for you, for me its like putting arsenic on the jig head..

thats what makes the world go round I suppose... bob