NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Spruce Run Creek dumping by Eastern Concrete - Page 6 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-07-2017, 07:48 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Spruce Run Creek dumping by Eastern Concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
Here's something the mayor posted on Facebook regarding the pumping:

"As some may know.. last Sunday the quarry had drained one of the basins- they were supposed to tell us and the DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) as a matter of protocol. This is as violated and I'm sure they will be fined. I was there last Sunday as was a the DEP. It didn't go unnoticed. We are on it!

What you should understand- the basin captures water and sediment. Water is used to clean the gravel. No chemicals etc are used just water.

The DEP should always be there to monitor the amount of sediment drained as not to impact the beautiful trout stream.

A video was recently posted and didn't contain all the facts. Fish are dying etc 4 days later. It is still to be determined as to why they are dying (Pequest Hatchery stocks the river and the trout they had released in the past had bacteria in them which also caused them to die). The wildlife and game warden is doing an autopsy to get the actual facts on that.

Out town engineer, attorney, Mayor, Council and environmental engineer along with the DEP are all over the situation. The Raritian Headwaters association and Trout Unlimited as well.

At the end of the day know we are on it and let's not exacerbate the situation half informed, instead we will solve it when we have ALL the facts. The sky isn't falling and the world isn't ending.

Until then use your energy to enjoy the beautiful weather! We are on it!

Sorry for the length of this post and be rest assured this will be resolved!

I will update you as the information comes in!

Feel free to private message me if you like!

Kindly,
Mattias"

What I don't understand is the claim that the trout were "infected with bacteria". They stopped stocking months ago...if they really did have some sort of bacteria they most likely would have died long ago, right? Doesn't make much sense to me. I left a message with the hatchery so hopefully I'll speak with them tomorrow to see if that is true or not.
was that the post that was removed? read ur PM

Last edited by tycomps; 08-07-2017 at 08:16 AM..
Old 08-07-2017, 08:17 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
A video was recently posted and didn't contain all the facts. Fish are dying etc 4 days later. It is still to be determined as to why they are dying (Pequest Hatchery stocks the river and the trout they had released in the past had bacteria in them which also caused them to die). The wildlife and game warden is doing an autopsy to get the actual facts on that.
It is my understanding that the state didn't stock any of the "potentially" diseased brookies or browns in Trout Production waters. And that was 3 or 4 years ago.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:37 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I just spoke with Chris from the Pequest Hatchery who informed me the bacteria claim is 100 percent FALSE and that the fish in the affected area are a total loss. Extremely disheartening but that means we just have to work harder to restore the stream.

Last edited by Hookmanski; 08-07-2017 at 08:43 AM..
Old 08-07-2017, 08:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Dug around on NJDEP dataminer and it looks like the facility has a long running history of violations over the past 10 years.

https://www13.state.nj.us/DataMiner

Quite a few are for discharging turbid waters to Spruce Run Creek. In fact the ones in 2012 and 2013 sound exactly like the current situation.

Inspections

Violations

Enforcement Actions

Last edited by NJSquatch; 08-07-2017 at 08:58 AM..
Old 08-07-2017, 08:56 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Mayors Facebook page with post (spellcheck?)-

https://www.facebook.com/mayormattiasschroeter/
Old 08-07-2017, 09:04 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
Dug around on NJDEP dataminer and it looks like the facility has a long running history of violations over the past 10 years.

Quite a few are for discharging turbid waters to Spruce Run Creek. In fact the one in 2012 sounds exactly like the current situation.
If this has been happening for the last 10 years (surely the quarry was around for much longer and had less restrictions before)

then how was it ever suited for TP-1 and maintained that status? Maybe cause it's only a partial part of the stream? Sediment not that damaging?
Old 08-07-2017, 09:18 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
If this has been happening for the last 10 years (surely the quarry was around for much longer and had less restrictions before)

then how was it ever suited for TP-1 and maintained that status? Maybe cause it's only a partial part of the stream? Sediment not that damaging?
My best guess is that the 1.7 mile stretch that has been dumped into is only a small fraction of the total distance of the stream. The silver lining here (if you want to call it that) is that the majority of the creek is still healthy and pristine.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:22 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
My best guess is that the 1.7 mile stretch that has been dumped into is only a small fraction of the total distance of the stream. The silver lining here (if you want to call it that) is that the majority of the creek is still healthy and pristine.
Im only guessing since I dont know about their operations but they'd be testing for water quality at the tail end of the stream if anywhere.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
A video was recently posted and didn't contain all the facts. Fish are dying etc 4 days later. It is still to be determined as to why they are dying (Pequest Hatchery stocks the river and the trout they had released in the past had bacteria in them which also caused them to die).
Sounds like the mayor is just a stooge for the quarry. He just completely discredited himself by blaming Fish & Game.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Sounds like the mayor is just a stooge for the quarry. He just completely discredited himself by blaming Fish & Game.
is the quarry a family/friend?

would be interesting to see political contributions to his campaign