NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

No Kill Trout Stretches - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 12:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: No Kill Trout Stretches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfish715 View Post
As for the license issue and the walleyes .........if you want to fish for fish other than trout, you don't have to buy a trout stamp. Trout stamps help pay for the trout stocking program.
Argument can work both ways....if I wanted to fish for only trout (I don't by the way) why doesn't the trout stamp then act as my license? Why do I have to purchase an additional license when I'm not targeting any other species besides trout?

(Not my stance on things but one could make this counter point).
Old 03-29-2018, 12:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by meppsman View Post
to clear up the TCA question , there are 2 types: seasonal and year round . The year rounds are not restocked weekly but, once pre season and 3 times in season. They are stocked again one time in the fall. The seasonal TCAs are stocked every week during in season stocking and there are no special rules until the final two weeks of the stocking schedule. The regulations of 1 fish of 15 inches or more do not take effect until the last two weeks of the stocking schedule. The KLG is no kill, it receives 2700 trout in the spring as compared to 40,700 for the rest of the south branch. The KLG is about 2.5 miles. The remainder of the South Branch is probably close to 40 miles of stocked water. So in reality the concentration of stocked fish is about the same, about 1000 per mile. The TCAS were created to give fisherman a greater chance to catch fish year round. They are not fly fishing only, you just cant use bait. I spin fish in them all the time and never had a problem from anybody.
Thanks for bringing clarity and sensibility to this conversation
Old 03-29-2018, 03:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: No Kill Trout Stretches

Yes the rest of the South Branch gets 40,000 trout, AND people taking home stringer loads every day of the week. You can't justify putting 3000 trout in a 2.5 mile NO KILL stretch, then pile more in during the fall. I think special interest groups pile even more trout in and around that area. How many trout do you need ?
Old 03-30-2018, 01:26 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Embarrassing thing is I go there and get skunked. Oh, well, here it is 1:24 a.m. and as I began to say so, I heard a great blue heron squawk while flying by my hovel here.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:35 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meppsman View Post
to clear up the TCA question , there are 2 types: seasonal and year round . The year rounds are not restocked weekly but, once pre season and 3 times in season. They are stocked again one time in the fall. The seasonal TCAs are stocked every week during in season stocking and there are no special rules until the final two weeks of the stocking schedule. The regulations of 1 fish of 15 inches or more do not take effect until the last two weeks of the stocking schedule. The KLG is no kill, it receives 2700 trout in the spring as compared to 40,700 for the rest of the south branch. The KLG is about 2.5 miles. The remainder of the South Branch is probably close to 40 miles of stocked water. So in reality the concentration of stocked fish is about the same, about 1000 per mile. The TCAS were created to give fisherman a greater chance to catch fish year round. They are not fly fishing only, you just cant use bait. I spin fish in them all the time and never had a problem from anybody.
All good points. I would just add that the special reg stretches also concentrate fishermen. Often I'll drive along the Musky only seeing a few cars but at Point Mountain you can't get a parking spot. There's just as many trout in the rest of the river.

Even though I mainly fly fish for Trout and can fish in the special regs areas I don't fish them often because they are so crowded.

You just can't use bait so a spinner, jig,stick bait or soft bait are fine. Is that really too restrictive? If you want to fish bait and keep fish there are hundreds of miles of river to fish.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:09 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I hope that I'm not "baited" into another response but I've always been taught to share with others. My purpose in raising the questions and concerns about the TCA's and No Kills was to raise awareness of how a segment of the trout fishing community is being ignored. I don't care about bringing a stringer of trout home with me. I do care about being told that fishing in these areas is exclusive to fishermen who don't fish like me. There's a principle involved here.

Fishing is supposed to be a relaxing pastime. We all know that it's not all about the catching. NJ is a beautiful state and the trout streams to which I alluded are prime examples of it. Because I choose to fish with bait, I can't share in the aesthetic beauty of some of the most picturesque and natural trout streams in the state. It's just not fair that I can't have access to those waters for even a few days. I'm still not clear as to why those stretches exist in the first place. The only reason I can assume is that I'm not worthy enough to share a stream with others because I'm not like them. A court case about this could destroy trout fishing in NJ. Let's not go there! There has to be a way for all of NJ's trout fishermen to share the aesthetics and the fishing without being exclusive.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfish715 View Post
I hope that I'm not "baited" into another response but I've always been taught to share with others. My purpose in raising the questions and concerns about the TCA's and No Kills was to raise awareness of how a segment of the trout fishing community is being ignored. I don't care about bringing a stringer of trout home with me. I do care about being told that fishing in these areas is exclusive to fishermen who don't fish like me. There's a principle involved here.

Fishing is supposed to be a relaxing pastime. We all know that it's not all about the catching. NJ is a beautiful state and the trout streams to which I alluded are prime examples of it. Because I choose to fish with bait, I can't share in the aesthetic beauty of some of the most picturesque and natural trout streams in the state. It's just not fair that I can't have access to those waters for even a few days. I'm still not clear as to why those stretches exist in the first place. The only reason I can assume is that I'm not worthy enough to share a stream with others because I'm not like them. A court case about this could destroy trout fishing in NJ. Let's not go there! There has to be a way for all of NJ's trout fishermen to share the aesthetics and the fishing without being exclusive.

You've made it crystal clear that you'll never accept any opinion other than your own. There is nothing that keeps you from fishing the TCA or no-kills except you're stubbornness about the no bait regulations. You have at your disposal spinners, spoons, jigs, stickbaits, if you care not to fish flies.

The legal argument is lame too. Makes you sound like a wussed out yuppie.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:57 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Coachman View Post
All good points. I would just add that the special reg stretches also concentrate fishermen. Often I'll drive along the Musky only seeing a few cars but at Point Mountain you can't get a parking spot. There's just as many trout in the rest of the river.

Even though I mainly fly fish for Trout and can fish in the special regs areas I don't fish them often because they are so crowded.

You just can't use bait so a spinner, jig,stick bait or soft bait are fine. Is that really too restrictive? If you want to fish bait and keep fish there are hundreds of miles of river to fish.
I totally agree. I don’t fly fish but you are 100% dead on about those areas being packed and the rest of the river doesn’t have a soul in site. I stopped at the Ken Lockwood Gorge one day this past January and it was packed. I spoke to a few guys there and nobody caught anything. I went a few miles downstream and had a great day with plenty of fish and I never even saw another fisherman.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Here come the Gardenstatetrout.com refugees and the elitist attitude. Welcome Drossi. This should be entertaining lmao.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have to agree with drossi, theres no problem with no-bait regulation in a no-kill stretch.

You're really not missing much in no kill stretches. You can still take a hike there in klg if you just wanna go there for the scenery.

And if you really wanted to fish it, there's plenty big lures that do the job.
Closed Thread