NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Two men rescued Saturday off R.I. w/pics - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 06-05-2012, 10:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Two men rescued Saturday off R.I. w/pics

June 4, 2012 9:55 am
By Maria Armental
JAMESTOWN, R.I. -- Two men who were rescued off a boat that smashed into rocks off Beavertail Point amid rocky weather and strong seas have been identified as 50-year-old Gary Wallace of Davei, Fla., and 53-year-old Tyler Corbitt, of Fort Lauderdale.
Both have been since released from Newport Hospital, Fire Chief James R. Bryer Jr.
Wallace and Corbitt were hired by Kevin Fish, 44, of Braintree, Mass., to steer the Dream Catcher, a 42-foot recreational boat, from Atlantic City, N.J., to Newport Harbor, according to Kurt Blanchard, deputy chief of the state Department of Environmental Management.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
JAMESTOWN, R.I. -- Bruce McIntyre was walking his dog Saturday when he spotted a fishing boat in trouble off Beavertail Light.
He thought, "'Who the hell would be out on a day like today?'"
BRUCE McINTYRE
"I ran down to the rocks. I started taking pictures," recalled McIntyre, who lives in Jamestown and is a lawyer for the state Health Department. "Then up comes this orange Coast Guard pontoon boat." The Coast Guard "came around and made one or two passes.
"You could see these monster waves hitting the bow. Then I see this orange life jacket bobbing in the waves."
Someone was yelling for help. The man was "in the water, in the froth ... he was just banging in the rocks" as the waves crashed in and out.
McIntyre and another bystander reached down and pulled the man onto the rocks.
"It was a miracle," McIntyre said. "That area was the roughest spot in Jamestown."
The other man, who'd stayed with the boat -- the Dream Catcher -- made it to shore before the boat "smashed to bits."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo1 (2).jpg
Views:	1240
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	48949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo2 (2).jpg
Views:	1079
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	48950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo3 (2).jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	48951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo4 (2).jpg
Views:	1144
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	48952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo5 (2).jpg
Views:	1161
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	48953  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo6 (2).jpg
Views:	1169
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	48954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo7 man on rocks(2).jpg
Views:	1220
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	48955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo8 (2).jpg
Views:	1218
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	48956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo9 destoyed(3).jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	48957  
Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Two men rescued Saturday off R.I. w/pics

Glad they made it off safe. Those pictures are crazy and a good reminder of how things can go real bad real quick!!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice Pictures I fish that area I know how nasty that inlet can get. They should be glad that the coast guard was there for the rescue instead of checking a bottom fish boat for Striped Bass.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:30 PM
dakota560

That is a scary sequence of pictures! Very lucky no one was injured or much worse. Can never be too careful in rough seas around inlets or jetties. Some nasty looking seas, not sure leaving the dock was the best move although it could have been a blue bird day when they left. Just glad they had a good outcome.

Dakota
Old 06-05-2012, 07:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Yeah that whole area is nothing but coastal BIG ROCKS. Not sure how those guys got pushed so close inside the breakers but glad the CG was there and they made it out OK. Nice pics of the event at their expense OUCH! Hope he had insurance...going to need it
Old 06-06-2012, 12:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good to hear they got off safely! Amazing pics too.. But sad.. Looked like a nice boat!

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Check out the USCG 45' punch through. It goes through the surf, not over. Stuff like that blows out the windows. That 45' coxswain really has icewater for blood.

That guy and boat are tough SOB's. And I already know that boat is fast!

Probably could have bridled the disabled SF and dragged it out of the breakers. Oh well. USCG saves people, not boats.

Curious how the disabled Sport Fish ended up in the surf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish16
June 4, 2012 9:55 am
By Maria Armental
JAMESTOWN, R.I. -- Two men who were rescued off a boat that smashed into rocks off Beavertail Point amid rocky weather and strong seas have been identified as 50-year-old Gary Wallace of Davei, Fla., and 53-year-old Tyler Corbitt, of Fort Lauderdale.
Both have been since released from Newport Hospital, Fire Chief James R. Bryer Jr.
Wallace and Corbitt were hired by Kevin Fish, 44, of Braintree, Mass., to steer the Dream Catcher, a 42-foot recreational boat, from Atlantic City, N.J., to Newport Harbor, according to Kurt Blanchard, deputy chief of the state Department of Environmental Management.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
JAMESTOWN, R.I. -- Bruce McIntyre was walking his dog Saturday when he spotted a fishing boat in trouble off Beavertail Light.
He thought, "'Who the hell would be out on a day like today?'"
BRUCE McINTYRE
"I ran down to the rocks. I started taking pictures," recalled McIntyre, who lives in Jamestown and is a lawyer for the state Health Department. "Then up comes this orange Coast Guard pontoon boat." The Coast Guard "came around and made one or two passes.
"You could see these monster waves hitting the bow. Then I see this orange life jacket bobbing in the waves."
Someone was yelling for help. The man was "in the water, in the froth ... he was just banging in the rocks" as the waves crashed in and out.
McIntyre and another bystander reached down and pulled the man onto the rocks.
"It was a miracle," McIntyre said. "That area was the roughest spot in Jamestown."
The other man, who'd stayed with the boat -- the Dream Catcher -- made it to shore before the boat "smashed to bits."
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 06-06-2012 at 10:17 AM..
Old 06-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Always sad to see a boat wreck up on the beach. Those photos were awazing. Thanks for posting them here.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area