NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

battery question? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 02-07-2009, 09:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default battery question?

Ok guys? I took both batteries out of the boat and left on a trickle charger. 1 is allready on the weak side. Question is? If I'm gonna buy a new battery or batteries. What do I buy? A Optima gel filled or a regular type battery?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:31 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: battery question?

For what its worth this is what I have and have had no problems. Group 27 dual purpose, Duralast Marine Batts. Specs are: 1000MCA @32F, 115 AH, 180 reserve capacity. Last year $69.99 ea. at Auto Zone. Good luck
Old 02-07-2009, 10:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I would buy regular. If your set up is 1 battery is only for the engine and the other is for house loads I would put in 1 starting & 1 deep cycyle (for house loads) If your battery starts and powers your electronics together then I recommend a dual pupose battery like Dreamon recommended. I use Intersate batteries also heard good things about Deka. If you do a search everyone has good and bad things to say about each manufacturer. Just check the date when the battery was made to make sure your picking up a fresh one.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:50 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

A dual purpose and a Starting battery are they way to go......I replace one every year, so one that battery is new and the other will be one year old..

If you are not in a hurry West Marine always has a great battery sale in early spring, as much as 50% off
Old 02-08-2009, 12:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards a Optima type deep cycle battery, Possibly? Last year I got a new Interstate battery and is ok , the other one is a little weak and not holding a charge

Last edited by Bottom Dweller; 02-08-2009 at 12:59 PM..
Old 02-08-2009, 01:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have BEEN useing DEKA MARINE MASTERS.The best i have ever used .I take them out put them in the garage and put them in in the spring and never had to charge them.$75.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The Optima are the way to go.
Ran my boat today , after sitting since December quarter turn was up and running !!!!!!!!!!!

After sitting for three months they were holding at 14 volts.

can run my speader lights for alot longer than could with reg cells.
They are worth every penny.

Plus they are very compact

Check your engine spec though, my Optimax requires a cranking battery and Not a Deep cell.

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 02-08-2009, 07:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: battery question? DESIGN SUGGESTIONS

Having been around a lot of dead batteries you should factor a few things in no matter what brand you get.

#1- Rule of thumb on lots of jobs done, a good battery will last you three seasons if well-maintained. And the third season is marginal sometimes. Four seasons and you're on barrowed time.

#2- That battery switch is never used correctly. One battery should be isolated from the other or it serves no purpose. They both drain dead simultaneously.

#3- If wired correctly one battery should be engine cranking only and NOTHING else attached to it. NOTHING. That includes the bilge pump. The bilge pump should be hardwired to the house battery and can NOT be switched off. The bigger you an get on CCA the better.

#4- Everything else should be on a deep cyle or duel cycle battery. They are made to drain. Here's where A-H Ampere-Hours mean something. How long can you run so many amps. It defines it.

Back to the beginning. Make sure the batteries and the switch are done correctly.

If you have a 120vac charger make sure it isolated the batteries from each other- number of banks.

In a disaster you need to start the motors, even if it's just to charge the other battery and get your VHF up for maydays and have your pumps running again. Also there is no such think as a bildge pump that's too big. I have a 2500gph in a 14' Aluminum runabout.

HOuse batterie(s) run the anchor lights, live well, electronics, refrigerator, etc. So go with the highest deep or dual cycle AH rating you can find. Cold Cranking Amps(CCA) mean little in a house battery.

Hope that helps some? I have no favorite brands. Nor ones I'd stear clear or either.

Good luck!

Capt. Frank
Old 02-08-2009, 08:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

www.yandina.com

Get yourself a combiner.
Wire starting battery to engine cables only.

Wires everything else to your deep cycle house battery.
Tie 2 grounds together, connect leads from combiner to both positives.
Both batterys charge when under way or when one is connected to charger.

Starting battery only drawn from when cranking engine.

Best $50 I spent.
No switch needed.

As Capt. Frank said, seen too many people leave battery to combined or both and draw them both down leaving you with NO battery.

Intestate starting and dee cycle (grp 27 or bigger if you can fit it) at $80 max each is JUST fine!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Dual purpose and maintnence free is the way to go.I own three boats and use duralast from walmart in all of them.For the money they are great!