NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Did your boat insurance go up - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-08-2018, 04:55 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Did your boat insurance go up

I just renewed mine and it went up, called the broker and they could not tell me why.
I called the company and they told me because of the risk factor in the area? I was just wondering if you guys are seeing the same thing?
I have no accidents or tickets.
Just so frustrated at these company's doing what they want at our expense.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:58 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Did your boat insurance go up

Yep, Boat US raised me $300 for no reason. They did it to a bunch of people. When I called they cited "Harvey"
Old 03-10-2018, 07:12 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I just renewed mine yesterday. Same premium as last year $467 for full ins.

On another note:
BoatUS towing ins is 149. I contacted them as to why it was 99 last year and now to renew this year is 149 and this is the response to that...

Thank you, Billy. You joined through one of our New Jersey offers. All of our $99 introductory offers are for new Members only. Normal prices resume upon renewal. We attend many boat shows where we offer similar priving discounts and we also have West Marine events where you may have the opportunity to renew the membership at the discounted price, however, our full price is $149/year as listed on http://www.boatus.com/membership/plans-and-prices
Old 03-16-2018, 09:55 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy223 View Post
I just renewed mine yesterday. Same premium as last year $467 for full ins.

On another note:
BoatUS towing ins is 149. I contacted them as to why it was 99 last year and now to renew this year is 149 and this is the response to that...

Thank you, Billy. You joined through one of our New Jersey offers. All of our $99 introductory offers are for new Members only. Normal prices resume upon renewal. We attend many boat shows where we offer similar priving discounts and we also have West Marine events where you may have the opportunity to renew the membership at the discounted price, however, our full price is $149/year as listed on http://www.boatus.com/membership/plans-and-prices
BOAT US always tries to hit me with the separate towing bill each year until I call them to complain that it's already a rider on my policy and included in my regular boat insurance and then they say "Ohh, yea I see that" and wave it.

I'm kind of torn to leave them as they treated me very well on a small claim I had a few years ago but they raised my price $300 for 2018 citing big losses from Harvey. lol
Old 03-16-2018, 10:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Shouldn't they assess the costs to the area actually hit by Harvey?

So if there's a storm anywhere you're a higher risk? Doesn't that bother you as simply gouging?

Also if you get Geico insurance, they throw in Boat US breakdown coverage under some BS shell company. Sea Tow does the same with Progressive Insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
BOAT US always tries to hit me with the separate towing bill each year until I call them to complain that it's already a rider on my policy and included in my regular boat insurance and then they say "Ohh, yea I see that" and wave it.

I'm kind of torn to leave them as they treated me very well on a small claim I had a few years ago but they raised my price $300 for 2018 citing big losses from Harvey. lol
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 03-16-2018 at 10:07 AM..
Old 03-16-2018, 01:09 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Just got this email from my insurance guy Vito Manzi... NICE!!

Hi Gerry,

Hope all is well. I just wanted to send you a quick email to let you know your GEICO boat renewal went down $204.00. Current premium is $1,025.00 and the renewal will be $821.00. I have attached a copy of the renewal for your review. The original will be mailed directly to you by GEICO.

Also, I highlighted the deductible section of the policy as there is $0 deductible on the policy. The policy has a vanishing deductible endorsement which came out last year, and the company gave you credit back to 2013, your first year with GEICO. Actually, the deductible disappeared on the 4/20/17 to 4/20/18 policy term(current year).

If you should have any questions, feel free to give me a call.

Have a nice weekend!

Regards,
Vito

Please note my new extension is 1002

Vito Manzi

Maiello & Manzi Associates, Inc

500 Craig Road Lower Level

Manalapan, NJ 07726

(848)863-6800 X 1002 * (888)572-4162 (Fax)

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-16-2018, 03:50 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
Shouldn't they assess the costs to the area actually hit by Harvey?

So if there's a storm anywhere you're a higher risk? Doesn't that bother you as simply gouging?

Also if you get Geico insurance, they throw in Boat US breakdown coverage under some BS shell company. Sea Tow does the same with Progressive Insurance.
It does, definitely going to shop around. Insurance companies all have certain "risk" factors, and for whatever reason mine and others went up, some stayed the same, and a few lucky ones like Gerry went down.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My Premiums stayed the same for the last 3 years.
Boat Safe in Pt. Pleasant.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:34 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Sounds more like a whim of your insurer. We use different oceans and live in different climates in NJ? Hardly. Its to get their profit margins up to the max the law allows. Then picking a customer.

You actually thinking boating risks changed between 2010 to 2011? Or 2017 to 2018? You know the answer. Put a rule out of am actuarial's a*s and charge'm. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
It does, definitely going to shop around. Insurance companies all have certain "risk" factors, and for whatever reason mine and others went up, some stayed the same, and a few lucky ones like Gerry went down.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 03-26-2018, 07:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My renewal notice from GEICO (BOATUS) just came in today. The premium was dropped 25% due to no claims. My boat is in Chesapeake Bay, which has not been hit by storms. Premium is now $288 for a 2013 22 ft center console.
Also, at the Saltwater show, I renewed towing insurance and got it for $85 because I have my boat insurance with them. It is normally $129 but available for $99 at the show.