NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Oradell Reservoir - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-07-2012, 04:21 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Oradell Reservoir

Been cruising the site for a few weeks now and figured nows a good time to get my feet wet and throw a post out there.

Fished Oradell Reservoir for the first time with my old man this past weekend. Not sure how he got the info about the watershed program there but he signed us up and we hit the reservoir for a few hours Saturday morning after the rain. Caught 4 fish total, 3 bass 1 perch.

I've seen a lot of talk on the message board about the Newark Watershed and how productive some of the lakes there are, but have yet to see someone mention any of the United Watershed. I thought the reservoir seemed to have some potential, especially the area off of the main body of water with a lot of downed tree's and some really awesome looking structure. We dont have a boat so were a little restricted. Would you recommend us giving the Newark Watershed a try? Any color on the Oradell reservoir ?

-Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oradell bass 2.JPG
Views:	2591
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	49017   Click image for larger version

Name:	oradell bass.JPG
Views:	3480
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	49018  
Old 06-07-2012, 06:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Oradell Reservoir

Nice, never been there myself.

The newark watershed lakes are tough to shore fish, unless your up for some wading. Only way to get past the treeline in most spots. Just walk out past the trees, shin deep or so, and walk along the waters edge. I had some decent luck this way......
Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Oradell Reservoir

Nice job man. Too bad you cant take a boat out there. Theres Walleye, Stripers, Hybrid Stripers, Smallmouth and big Catfizz in that place.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I've heard the legends of Hybrid Stripers in there but have yet to hear of someone actually pulling one out of there. I'll be fishing below the dam there in the near future and see what's up.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 06-15-2012, 12:13 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk City
I've heard the legends of Hybrid Stripers in there but have yet to hear of someone actually pulling one out of there. I'll be fishing below the dam there in the near future and see what's up.
There are no more hybrids. I live less than 2 mins away from the res and fish there almost everyday. Never seen a hybrid, they were put in years ago and don't reproduce so they are gone. Anyone who says they have seen or caught one lately is lying or confused. I pulled some nice bass out of there tonight.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I live less than a mile from the Gate #1 and hasn't seen any Hybrids this year. I haven't caught any Bass lately after they put the pesticide on June 15th. Maybe the water temp. is too high lately?

Watch out for the lock at the gate as someone (or the United Water) put so much WD40 on the lock.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yun@networksos.com
I live less than a mile from the Gate #1 and hasn't seen any Hybrids this year. I haven't caught any Bass lately after they put the pesticide on June 15th. Maybe the water temp. is too high lately?

Watch out for the lock at the gate as someone (or the United Water) put so much WD40 on the lock.
Ever pulled a hybrid out of there?

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 07-16-2012, 05:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I started fishing at the Reservoir about 12 years ago and stopped fishing after 9/11 (they closed it for a while). And I started fishing again last year. But I never pulled any Hybrids - I am probably not a good angler.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Id be willing to try the oradell res is anyone would like to join one night. I don't have a pass but if there are walleye in there id love to give it a shot. I've been trying to get my first walleye for about 2 years now.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:07 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I don't think there are any Walleyes at the Oradell Reservoir. I have seen Smallie, Bucket, Cat, White & Yellow Perch, Carp & Crappies but no Hybrids and no Walleyes. I would be happy to join you in the morning. It gets a bit too hot lately in the evening and you are to leave the Reservoir when the Sun goes down (I think it's around 8:30 PM right now).