NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

dual bank battery charger - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-16-2016, 06:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default dual bank battery charger

I know some of you sharpies will reply to this. I'm looking for a dual bank battery charger and tender. I've done some research and am not sure about what to buy. The main question I guess is the amp charging cycle 1,4,6 what is best? Low and slow? I have 2 Lee batteries maintenance free I'm looking to keep them charged in the off season and during the season while in the driveway. Thanks Guys. Gerry we will start with your answer!!
Old 04-17-2016, 05:06 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: dual bank battery charger

Hey Tony - Here I am... Like a moth to a flame

A few questions first.... Are you looking to install on the boat permanently and do you keep your boat in the water during the season?

If installing on the boat permanently and you intend to keep the boat in the water , then I would make sure whatever you purchase is marine grade and installed correctly from a wiring perspective.

The biggest no-no while the boat is in the slip is taking a standard automotive battery charger and extension chord and leaving it plugged into standard power at the dock. This is can cause stray current that can cause electrolysis and over time, literally eat any metal that is below the water line like through hulls, running gear, out drives, and in the case outboards I've seen it eat the mounting brackets if they are below the water line. It could also do the same to any other boats in the marina.

If installing on the boat permanently, you want to use the shore power outlet that is dockside (big 3 prong) and install a shore power receptacle on the boat and wire according to the charger instructions. This will reduce the possibility of stray current at the dock. Here is an article I found on proper installation http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdviso...attery-Charger

As far as Amperage, it all depends on how quickly you want the batteries to recharge and how many batteries you have. In most small boat applications 10 to 20 Amp chargers will be fine and you want to be sure you buy one with the correct amount of banks. If you have 2 batteries a 2 bank charger and make sure it's compatible with the type of batteries you use as well, lead acid or AGM.

Most marine on board chargers that are sold today support different battery types and usually have multiple banks... They also have systems that detect the level of charge of each battery and will fast charge with higher Amps to begin with and once the batteries are topped off go into trickle charge mode with lower Amps and maintenance cycles.

It's also good to have a permanent install if you keep the boat in a slip to prevent your batteries from being drained if you develop a leak somewhere requiring your bilge pumps to kick on frequently. Having the batter charger on will keep the batteries charged and can save your boat.

If all you are doing is charging your batteries over the winter while the boat is up on land to keep them topped off, then disregard all the above and get an inexpensive lower amp trickle charger.

I'm sure Duff and Captain Frank will chime in here too...

Hope this helps.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 04-17-2016 at 05:14 AM..
Old 04-17-2016, 01:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Gerry hit all the points to a T.

I trailer so only charge batts if the boat sits more than 2 weeks or so w/o being used.

I use a simple low and slow snap-on charger (which means I overpaid for a charger!!!) that is exactly like this one......https://www.batterystuff.com/all-pro...-021-0128.html

I've always used a pair of Interstate SRM-27's. Charged occasionally during the season, and once a month during the off season.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 04-18-2016, 10:18 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Funny. Just like the moth to the flame.

You thinking of using an inverter to get AC? That may change things. Just think only a small 1000w Inverter( this is very small appliances) will draw close to 90 amps or more.

Also for over winter. You'd like indoors with ventilation ( they give off explosive hydrogen gas(like the Hindenburg blimp) when charging and heating up) or at least semi protected. I use a low amp charger with a common wall timer set to run it for 15 minutes once a day. Just make sure it is charged up when you store it. Also separate the batteries with diodes or two chargers. A dead battery paralleled with a good will drain that good one too.

Also different battery types like different charging styles. SO if you are thinking of going from lead acid to hi tech gel types or glass type they charge differently than straight line lead-acid batteries.

I used a Newmar on my Grady and wired it for shore power with an outlet and a main breaker.

Make sure you use marine wire. The strands are much much thinner that common household wire and very flexable like jumper cable wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Hey Tony - Here I am... Like a moth to a flame

A few questions first.... Are you looking to install on the boat permanently and do you keep your boat in the water during the season?

If installing on the boat permanently and you intend to keep the boat in the water , then I would make sure whatever you purchase is marine grade and installed correctly from a wiring perspective.

The biggest no-no while the boat is in the slip is taking a standard automotive battery charger and extension chord and leaving it plugged into standard power at the dock. This is can cause stray current that can cause electrolysis and over time, literally eat any metal that is below the water line like through hulls, running gear, out drives, and in the case outboards I've seen it eat the mounting brackets if they are below the water line. It could also do the same to any other boats in the marina.

If installing on the boat permanently, you want to use the shore power outlet that is dockside (big 3 prong) and install a shore power receptacle on the boat and wire according to the charger instructions. This will reduce the possibility of stray current at the dock. Here is an article I found on proper installation http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdviso...attery-Charger

As far as Amperage, it all depends on how quickly you want the batteries to recharge and how many batteries you have. In most small boat applications 10 to 20 Amp chargers will be fine and you want to be sure you buy one with the correct amount of banks. If you have 2 batteries a 2 bank charger and make sure it's compatible with the type of batteries you use as well, lead acid or AGM.

Most marine on board chargers that are sold today support different battery types and usually have multiple banks... They also have systems that detect the level of charge of each battery and will fast charge with higher Amps to begin with and once the batteries are topped off go into trickle charge mode with lower Amps and maintenance cycles.

It's also good to have a permanent install if you keep the boat in a slip to prevent your batteries from being drained if you develop a leak somewhere requiring your bilge pumps to kick on frequently. Having the batter charger on will keep the batteries charged and can save your boat.

If all you are doing is charging your batteries over the winter while the boat is up on land to keep them topped off, then disregard all the above and get an inexpensive lower amp trickle charger.

I'm sure Duff and Captain Frank will chime in here too...

Hope this helps.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 04-18-2016 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: typos