NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Pequest Trout? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 11-11-2015, 09:09 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Pequest Trout?

First time posting and fairly new at fishing

Anyways. I have a hard time catching the trout in Pequest, the spot Ive been going to is right off of 46 a little ways before the Hatchery and an area of about 40ft has about 20 trout and some really big.
Ive spent mutiple days trying to catch one and they are all not biting. I think its because they are stocked
Thought Id post something and see if anyone has had the same problem or any suggestions.
thanks
Old 11-11-2015, 10:53 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Pequest Trout?

What have you been trying to catch them with? If you're having trouble with with them biting, maybe try throwing some powerbait into the hole with a size 6 hook and a split shot.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabesaRoja View Post
What have you been trying to catch them with? If you're having trouble with with them biting, maybe try throwing some powerbait into the hole with a size 6 hook and a split shot.
He means powerbait salmon Eggs or pallets.

No offense cabesaroja , but i wish people would be more specific so new fisherman can understand.

theres powerbait grubs, worms and swimbaits.

when someone first told me they were using powerbait to catch trout i thought they were using grubs.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Pequest Trout?

Worms.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

buddy you gotta realize that those fish in the pequest near the hatchery, especially near the base of the spillway, get hammered day after day by fisherman. on a slow day they probably see 20 different flies, and 5 different spinners or plugs. they are more like aquarium fish than wild trout at this point. just keep working them
Old 11-12-2015, 10:00 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you see the trout they see you just as well if not better.Somtimes ya have to be sneaky,hide behind a tree or boulder, crouch down when entering a new spot.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shucker View Post
If you see the trout they see you just as well if not better.Somtimes ya have to be sneaky,hide behind a tree or boulder, crouch down when entering a new spot.
I have never caught a trout that I saw. They just laugh at you and give you a fin.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Ditto on the whole runway fishery. I don't step foot in the TCA at all. Not really worth my time when the rest of the river is basically empty. Lots of fish to be had and don't be afraid to hide behind a tree or bush as my good buddy Shucker mentioned. Fish have eyes and spook easily in low water conditions. I'm a huge fan of small plugs and worms this time of year. Try going when it's cloudy and overcast and see what you can come up with. Good luck out there man!
Old 11-12-2015, 02:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Based on his description of where he's been fishing I suspect he's within the TCA in which case any suggestion of bait use would be in-appropriate. Don't want to set the guy up for a ticket.
As Shucker pointed out while those fish may bw stockies they aren't blind or completely dumb. If they can see you they will get a case of 'lockjaw'. Also as 'Dino; says, those fish in the TCA get hit hard all year long. They've seen pretty much everything there is and have become pretty well educated as a result. Patience, stealth and a decent presentation will eventually lead to success. Also going on an overcast, rainy day or when the water is discolored will definitely up your odds of success.