NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Hooks Creek Issue/Stocking Protocol question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 11-05-2018, 10:56 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Hooks Creek Issue/Stocking Protocol question

Hey all. So I don't think any of the regulars here fish Hook's Creek (Cheesequake State Park) but maybe you can still help. If you don't know, Hooks Creek lake receives spring and fall stocking. After this Fall Stocking I put in a decent dozen hours spread over a few pretty optimal weather days over the course of a week and a half with not a sniff, bump or anything. This isn't a complaint post because of lack of catching so please read on. My second trip there, an older gentleman caught me on my way out and asked if I had caught anything. I told him I hadn't and that it was weird. He explained to me that no one was having any luck and that he had seen a handful of dead fish so he doubted anyone would be catching. I was a bit concerned, but half chalked it up to an "old regular" seeing a young guy in a smaller pond with waders and just protecting his turf not knowing I am a regular. My next trip on Thursday was beautiful I fished 4 hours in the beautiful weather and yeah I know the temp swings aren't great, but just didn't seem right not. I can't explain it. Not even the accidental dink bass in my normal spots. On the way out, I see the same gentleman. He asks me again if I had any luck and I said no realizing that he didn't recognize or remember me. He then stated yeah no one is catching and that he has found over a dozen dead trout along the backside of the lake. I decided to investigate and walk the whole perimeter of the lake and didn't find anything so I couldn't validate what he said, but has anyone heard anything similar by chance. For those who don't know, after Sandy the lake was overcome with salt water ruining the salinity. With the tremendous amounts of rain and wind maybe there could be a similar problem. Do they do any type of testing or inspections before stocking? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Hooks Creek Issue/Stocking Protocol question

Even if there was a slight chance of a fish kill you should report to F&W so they can investigate.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/contactform.htm
Old 11-05-2018, 07:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Hooks Creek Issue/Stocking Protocol question

Already done Andy. Thanks
Old 11-06-2018, 08:26 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I was there a week after stocking and had the same results. Saw two dead trout and two trying to survive. I inspected one of the dead ones and it did look like it had claw marks in it’s back. It could be the cormorant/Osprey harassing them to exhaustion or water temps / 02 levels.Another angler on the other side did catch two on jar bait. I run and gun throwing spinners or plugs unless my daughter is with me.

As far as the other species sping of 2017 I caught bass up to 14” and with eggs ( released of course) on every outing. Went back in September for the bass and nothing no hits no followers no sightings. I did see a sign stating that the water was treated with an herbicide . Walking out I saw two fishing that I see there all the time and asked if they caught anything and the said not since they treated the water. Then they told me that two weeks after the treatment they quickly filled two front end loaders with dead fish. I asked if they had any pictures but they said no. I wish I were there earlier but I fish all over the state and don’t go in HC when you have to pay.

As far as SS Sandy they let it purge for four years untill the salinity level was safe for fresh water fish then the F&G stocked warm water species.

All in all its a very beautiful lake and park . I walk my dog there regularly trails are great. Unfortunately it’s being pushed down to the bottom of my go to spots

Last edited by Blackfishhead; 11-08-2018 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-07-2018, 09:49 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I fished there after the fall stocking and experienced the same thing. No one caught anything but trout were everywhere peaking out the top of the water. It looked like baitfish were going belly up right in front of me as everytime I looked down another floated in (not sure what they are, shiners?)

This is a little off topic but there's another little pond that is fed by the creek which I would think would be pretty brackish - I saw guys fishing in there and they said there is bass in there as well some salt water species come in - anyone know about that?
Old 11-07-2018, 08:07 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks guys. NJ fish and wild respondes today. Anyone have pics of the fish? They said they have had no reports about hooks
Old 11-07-2018, 08:12 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Sorry .No pics of the dead/ dying trout.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:54 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Is there anything in there at all? Spent a good amount of time there yesterday - from the vantage point water outlet you can see a good distance (water is crystal clear) and no signs of life except a few tiny baitfish.. didn't see any nests or even any sunnies anywhere.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Went there about a half a dozen times after stocking. Only caught 1. Only 2 other fish caught on opening day and only 2 others reported the other days i was there. Dont know whats up with it but seems a bit off. They put in a shit ton this year but hey just as likely could be killing it when I'm not there but reports from the daily regs seem to be the same as what Ive noticed
Old 05-22-2019, 10:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'd fish elsewhere after that much non-action. You're not far from more productive waters...