NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

AHMM -- Launch at Low Tide ?? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 05-16-2012, 06:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default AHMM -- Launch at Low Tide ??

Thursday 5/17, a friend wants me to assist launching and slipping his 20' center console at AHMM. The tow vehicle is a 2000 something 6 cyl Jeep Grand Cherokee. He has towed this boat before to and from KMB without a problem.
Due to AM committments, we can't get there till 1130--1200, dead low tide.

Have heard all kinds of horror stories about that ramp at low. Haven't launched there in 20 years. We are bringing wheel chocks. Any other insight, pointers, or warnings ?? How exactlly is that ramp at dead low ???
Thanks in advance for any info.

Tom K.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: AHMM -- Launch at Low Tide ??

Very slippery at dead low, I have seen many pickups go under. Pete
Old 05-16-2012, 07:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

one person stays in the truck the other in the boat, no problem.

20' seacraft
Old 05-16-2012, 07:49 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I launch there roughly 3 times a week. Low tide can be rough, however i find my problem with low tide isn't launching its pulling the boat out. Before launching take a walk down to the ramp and scout out where there is less green crap. You really shouldn't have any problems. Rollers or bunks? if its rollers you can just play it safe and crank her down and climb down the trailer. Best of luck!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

bring a bag of traction sand,watch your step, park on side of ramp and turn wheel to side, oh sometimes: a clothes pin for your nose
Old 05-16-2012, 10:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

i think the main thing with all the horror stories is that no one uses wheel chocks....I have been in that marina for three years now and have never had a problem...take ur time and use WHEEL CHOCKS!!!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Last summer I nearly lost my truck at the ramp when I launched; in my case it wasn't that it was pulled in by the weight of boat (it was already floating) but rather that there is no traction to be found when that green stuff is wet. My wheel chocks (two of them) slid on that stuff along with the truck, I had to retrieve them from the water when the spectacle was over. My preference is to neither launch nor retrieve at low tide but since that isn't an option for you, here's my advice:

Find a dry spot, that shouldn't be an issue on a Thursday but if it has been busy and a dry spot isn't available, take a pass.

If you have 4 wheel drive, engage it.

Leave the truck running and the driver's door open in case you have to bail.

Chock all the tires, your front tires shouldn't be on the green stuff so the chocks will grab. That extra help may be what keep you out of the water(the sand suggestion sounds like a real good one).

Pull the plug if the truck slips at all. This is where I went wrong; the instant I put my truck in park it slipped about 2 inches and then stopped. I figured the chocks would keep me in place once I set them. WRONG!!!

Helplessly standing at the back of my truck as the waters of the Atlantic engulfed it was a sucky feeling. The only thing that kept me from losing it was getting in and driving it away, at that point the bed was already half filled with water.

Good luck!!!

p.s. the following week when I launched I was introduced to a guy whose jeep had been totally pulled in earlier that that day. His dog used the back window to get out and swim to safety.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

As stated above and as I stated months ago, it can be like trying to walk on wet ice with ice cubes stuck to your feet. Please take every precaution...including spreading some sand about if it is slick. I've seen a dually lose traction there...not pretty.

Best of luck. Call it off if it's too slick.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

For what they charge to launch they should go down every week and pressure wash the ramp off at low tide if not twice a week.

I just don't understand how ramps in NJ are in the shape they are in. AH ramp is probably one of the best and it is maginal at best. Go to the south where they get used for longer season any look at there ramps pristine and easy in and out and wonder why ours are the way they are.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Site Sponsor

Talking Re: AHMM -- Launch at Low Tide ??

Yo will be alright have one guy in the boat one in the truck wen u back boat down the ramp just back it till thr trailer wheels just go under.i see alot of people go too far back no need for it. put the truck in four wheel drive back it down the ramp put in park with ur foot on the brake use the wheel chocks to chock the wheels.step on the parking brake.then u should be able to get out and disconnect winch and saftey chain from the trailer.who ever operating the boat bump it in reverse and she come off no promblems.