NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Thoughts/help/options for Upper Delaware.. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-12-2017, 04:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Thoughts/help/options for Upper Delaware..

I am not far away at all, about 60 miles from Deposit.. Hancock, Narrowsburg are not too far away either.. I usually don't head that way, I go to the Finger Lakes.. however, the Zebra Mussels and round Goby invasions have really hurt the type of fishing I like to do, and I am seeking other options.

I have the Susquehanna only about 9 miles away, but unlike the Delaware, its muddy a LOT of the time, often is unfishable for weeks on end up here in NY.. It is NOT like the central Pa section.. Here in NY, a days rain shuts the susquehanna river off for a week..
I am not all the big into "stream trout" fishing in the classic sense.. I have no interest in fly fishing, and prefer small jigs, and bait fishing, maybe a small plug or spinner at times.. I realize the Delaware is more of a fly fishing/wading/water release from the reservoir type of arrangement.

I would rather take my boat - 14 foot w 28 HP out into deep areas and fish for Walleyes, SMB, maybe Shad or a stray striper when they get up this far.. I just have NO idea where to start, or even if I can take a boat into the river without running into 6 inch deep gravel bars every 100 feet,, I don't mind stream trout, just never put much time into it, and have NO idea where to even drive to to get started.. Any help from NJ guys that get up into the NY section of the Delaware would be very well appreciated.. PM's are fine if you would rather not post here... thanks .... bob
Old 03-12-2017, 04:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Thoughts/help/options for Upper Delaware..

That's one beautiful area to fish the D! I'd recommend the guide Andy, Wilson and sir Lard Almighty use! Take one float trip and see what it's all about! They get all kinds of variety up that way! Sure you can walk it and it's a hell of a hike to most holes! Looks like the drift boat is a sure bet on that stretch of the big river. Narrowsburg has a launch just upstream from the bridge. You can launch your boat there! Easy peasy!
Old 03-12-2017, 05:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
That's one beautiful area to fish the D! I'd recommend the guide Andy, Wilson and sir Lard Almighty use! Take one float trip and see what it's all about! They get all kinds of variety up that way! Sure you can walk it and it's a hell of a hike to most holes! Looks like the drift boat is a sure bet on that stretch of the big river. Narrowsburg has a launch just upstream from the bridge. You can launch your boat there! Easy peasy!
I knew there was a launch at Narrowsburg, but never been there.. Is the area a fairly sizable one where there is some deeper water? Much fishing pressure?.. I imagine thats more of a Walleye/SMB area than trout, would that be correct?.. is the Shad fishing that far north worthwhile?..Stripers?.... bob
Old 03-12-2017, 06:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hop on Route 97 in Hancock and check out all the pull-offs and bridges on the way south, you'll find some decent water to put a boat in. Most of the good trout fishing is north of Narrowsburg, though you'll find some further down. Smallie fishing really starts getting good around Callicoon. Walleye are everywhere, from junction pool all the way to Trenton, just find a deep, slow pool. I've seen schools of shad as far north as Hancock. Stripers are few and far between in that area.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 03-12-2017, 10:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Thoughts/help/options for Upper Delaware..

Upper big D is no place for a 14 foot w 28 HP motor. Mostly drift boats as the current can be wicked, and one minute you are fishing 20 ft deep water and the next minute you are going over gravel bottom with an inch or two to spare ! Hire a guide and do a float trip and get the lay of the land. Some stretches even a canoe could be tossed. Then you have stretches like Long Eddy where a small boat and small motor could work. Plenty of shore line access on both sides of the river. If trout is what you seek, beating the banks on the Beaverkill and West Branch can't be beat.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:31 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Upper big D is no place for a 14 foot w 28 HP motor. Mostly drift boats as the current can be wicked, and one minute you are fishing 20 ft deep water and the next minute you are going over gravel bottom with an inch or two to spare ! Hire a guide and do a float trip and get the lay of the land. Some stretches even a canoe could be tossed. Then you have stretches like Long Eddy where a small boat and small motor could work. Plenty of shore line access on both sides of the river. If trout is what you seek, beating the banks on the Beaverkill and West Branch can't be beat.
meh, not really all that big on stream trout fishing... If I want trout I can fish the Finger Lakes and catch Lakers, Browns and Landlocked Atlantics.. I prefer to jig deeper rocky areas in river systems for Walleyes and SMB, and whatever else might be lurking .. I was thinking more along the lines of the type of fishing activity one sees at the Water Gap bend.. Boats jigging along the bottom in deep water.. From what I gather I will not find that kind of environment in the part of the Delaware thats closest to me near Deposit.. I guess thats more for waders seeking trout.
I have a feeling I will have to drive further southeast on the river to find the deeper water areas where a boat might be better used.
At my age, with pretty bad back issues, my days of portaging are over,, I want to launch the boat and fish an area where I don't have to worry too much about wiping out on gravel bars. I have gotten some info from a very kind forum friend about an area that I have long been aware of, but have never visited.. Its not that close at over 110 miles each way, but might be worth a few visits this coming season.... bob
Old 03-13-2017, 06:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

What I believe to be the deepest hole in the river is just above the launch in Narrowsburg on the PA side and just below the launch on the NY side. I would not drift too far downstream from the PA launch as it gets shallow very quickly, but it's a big enough area that you could fish it all day.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Milford PA is a nice deep stretch with a good launching facility.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Problem with that is that its 140 miles each way, and I would need a pa license.... Probably find a few spots I can deal with in the NY section... bob
Old 03-14-2017, 05:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Problem with that is that its 140 miles each way, and I would need a pa license.... Probably find a few spots I can deal with in the NY section... bob
can't help w/ the distance, but if you have a NJ license, it covers you if you launch/fish the delaware at milford, PA

Quote:
The reciprocal agreement regarding fishing licenses remains in effect and anglers may continue to fish from shoreline to shoreline in the Delaware River between Pennsylvania and New Jersey using either state’s fishing license. Information on each state’s fishing regulations can be found at www.fishandboat.com and www.NJFishandWildlife.com. It is incumbent upon anglers to determine in which state they are currently fishing, taking into account that in areas where the river splits, such as around islands, the boundary is clearly and legally defined to one side of the island or another. All anglers are reminded to comply with each state’s marine registry requirements when angling for or catching anadromous species such as striped bass, river herring or shad in the tidal portions of the Delaware River.
• New Jersey and Pennsylvania fishing licenses are both recognized when fishing the Delaware River from a boat or either shoreline. This applies to the main stem of the river only.
• Anglers may launch a boat from either shore and on return, may have in possession any fish which may be legally taken according to the regulations of the state where the landing is made.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2017/digfsh17.pdf - pg 29