NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Info on 2000 johnson ocean pro 200 HP. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-10-2009, 11:00 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Info on 2000 johnson ocean pro 200 HP.

Im looking at a 2000 26’ striper with a Johnson 200 ocean pro motor
And upon inspection of motor I notices that (looking at the motor) the
Left bank seem to have a salt water leak at the top of power head.
All of the ends of the plugs going into the cylinders are rusted and on the rt. Side they look fine there what appears to be a sensor with wires coming out of it at the top of the head and im thinking this is the source of the leak. Can anyone tell me what this is and what it dose.
I will be going back in a week to run motor and do a compression test
On it as well what is min. expectable compression for this year motor
Seller states very low hours on motor and boat and at first inspection
His statement appears to be true (boat & motor are very clean)
Thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 11:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Info on 2000 johnson ocean pro 200 HP.

That boat is underpowered with a single 200.

Rusted plugs would give me pause as well.

Low hours are not a good thing (contrary to what some think).

THE WORST thing for a marine engine (especially an outboard) is lack of use.

The more then engine is run, barring VERY high hours, the better it is for the engine.

You def need a survey with compression and I would also see about a leak down test.

Compression should probably be in the 100-120 range for that engine.

Main concern is that all cylinders measure closely to each other. Within 10-15% of each other or so.

I imagine it is a carbed big block V6 2 stroke, so the tech in 2000 for that was fairly mature.

I am not sure of the specific issues for that year, but as a whole, it is a solidly built engine, fairly easy/straight forward as far as outboards go, LOVES to drink gas and oil, will smoke, but is a reliable engine on avg and is similar to my 2003 Johnson 175 2 stroke carb.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:29 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

That was my thought as well that it was under powerd but upon researching
it that was standard base power in 2000 It also has a 4 blade ss prop on it and the motor is on a drive plate. any thoughts ?
as far as the rusted plugs it appears that the therm. gasket is starting to leak
and dripping down on the plugs on that side.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

underpowered is only determined by what your using it for. The 200 HP is standard HP for that boat and is based on standard conditions. Perfect size for the bay, rivers, etc. If you use the boat off shore, then YES you are underpowered.

I have a 26' Seaswirl Striper myself, but I use mine off shore mostly and down the beach. I powered it with its maximum rating, twin 175's Evinrudes. But, once again, I powered mine toward the type of use I will be putting it through.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

2000 Johnson will probably have a Ficht fuel injection system
Check to see if it has those "indexed" spark plugs. If it has those, I would honestly steer clear of it. They fixed the problems on later models, so they do not have the "indexed" plugs.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:00 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

no its a carbed motor
and i will be useing it in the bay not off shore.
and no indexed plugs standerd plugs
Old 03-10-2009, 01:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Underpowered is underpowered. No matter what it is used for.

Underpowered engine works MUCH harder lessening the life of the engine, causing you to run at higher rpm burning more gas/oil, longer to plane, etc.

People don't by boats with a higher horsepower engine to run offshore vs using in the bay/rivers.

People buy TWIN engines to run offshore so they can get home on one engine if one dies.

Ficht = VERY bad, but carbed has good reputation.

If you must have this boat, then MAKE SURE you run it on the water at open throttle and MAKE SURE you get between 5300-5600 rpms (depending on load). If it does not reach that RPM @ WOT, then not only is the boat underpowered, but the engine is lugging which is REALLY bad for it.

If/when doing your sea trial, I would try to load the boat with as many people as I would normally be taking out on it and shoot for at least 2/3rd tank of gas so you can get real world performance feel for it.

You will most certainly find that boat slow to plane with a 200hp single with 2-3 people on the boat.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Very underpowered, I have a hydro sport 23.5 walk around and my Ficht(piece of shit, and I put at least 3000.00 into the engine for 3 years now)is not enough power for 23,5, 26 should have at least a 250 hp.If you put more than 2 guys with equiptment, it probably will barely get on plane.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have a 94 Ocean Pro and it runs like a top. The area where you describe the leak is probably where the thermostat is located and is more than likely a bad gasket. Any leakage and storage will in turn rust the outside of the plugs. After every trip I spray down the motor with C-56 which is a great anti- corrosive. I also use Sea Foam which will prevent the engine from smoking.
Without question the boat and motor should have a good survey and I am sure there are plenty of guys who know a good one in your area.
I change my thermostats every two seasons no matter how many hours I use the boat. If the thermostat is bad it can overheat the motor and can cause ALL kinds of really bad things to happen to the head or power pack. Make sure you get the survey.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

You did not say whether it is a Center Console or Walk Around. The 200 on a CC would be OK but if it is the heavier WA it will be slooww to get on plane especially with full gas, water in live well, fishing gear and a few friends. If you don't mind this and the price fits go ahead with the testing. Fuel may be a problem if it has been sitting in tank for a while even if it has been treated. Good luck.