NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tough Fishing Tuesday..Smart trout! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Tough Fishing Tuesday..Smart trout!

It was too damn nice out Brought 4 smallies to the boat mostly smaller 2-3lbs 17-18" and one larger one 21" 4.9lbs. Missed every trout we had on as well (some good ones). I can not for the life of me figure out a better method to get them on herring. Stingers dont work to well because I swear they see it and the rod with the stinger wont get touched. We have tried circle, octopus, and trebles and theres really no difference. Any creative ideas guys? Noticed most of the boats out really deep around 150' in no mans land. Fish are definitely feeding just not as aggressive with the cooler water.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:58 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Tough Fishing Tuesday..Smart trout!

What I do for other species is 2 things when having that trouble. First when downlining (which is how i mainly fish herring) I use a larger egg sinker, like 1oz or 1.5 oz and extend my leader to 5-7 ft long, and keep the reel in gear not in free spool w clicker on. This gives the fish alot longer to keep the bait in their mouth and do the spin to suck it down head first, and they usually hook themselves. The other thing that works if ur using slip bobbers is to up the weight on the slip bobber to the point the bobber almost sinks, when the fish pull they feel little or no resistance to the float. they actually make hollow bobbers u fill with water to keep them neutral for such things, didnt know about them til I saw them in gander mountain
Old 09-25-2013, 12:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

how are you hooking the bait? hooked right in front of the dorsal fin using a light wire hook i have very few run-offs
Old 09-25-2013, 04:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

We actually use the same method jimmy said..4ft leader after a 3/4 oz egg sinker with a small treble through both nostrils so we can drift..lots of takes and short battles but when the browns go nuts and dart in different directions the hook never stays
Old 09-25-2013, 06:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Even using GAMI'S I loose fish sometimes both trolling and drifting. Can't give them ANY SLACK at all and can't press em' too hard either. It's a very fine line ya walk meaning very hard to do. You got it down (Your system ) sometimes it's the fish sometimes angler error LOL !!! I fish with a very loose drag almost always and adjust up if i need to. Keep on doing your thing and you'll get em' next time! My worst fishing trip was being at hopatcong at night and loosing several nice fish missing strikes that were so hard they were blowing out of the water and being hooked up to a fish that i never saw. It slammed my lure and burned about 50 ft of line, couldn't even slow it down with my thumb on the spool as well and then: JUST GONE!

16 Ft Princecraft DLX
9.9 Johnson
HELIX 7 Si GPS
Old 09-25-2013, 07:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Tough Fishing Tuesday..Smart trout!

You guys are always on the fish, no worries. You'll definitely get em next time. You caught some nice Smallies, it's all good!!!
Old 09-26-2013, 12:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Well said !!! We rarely have trouble puttin fish in the boat but fair weather fishin isn't ALWAYS best...barometer was f'd too which i think impacts rese fish more than river fish....way to bring em back to earth eddie....Cant have a STELLAR day every time out...
Old 09-27-2013, 12:08 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

If you are losing a lot of fish because the hooks are pulling, you might want to try using a fishing rod with a soft tip. This may help to avoid pulling hooks. If you are using braided line you might find that mono might be a better choice as it has more stretch and provides a cushioning affect. Don't give the fish any slack line, I would not pump the fishing rod either - just reel in slow and steady. Set the reel with a light drag. Make sure your hooks are razor sharp. Just my thoughts.

Can anyone tell me what size/type hooks they use that work well for drifting the herring?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:06 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I use uglystik downrigger rods in Light action, they have the softest tips Ive ever used and good backbone, I nail hundreds of hybrids on them w no trouble and even a small fish feels like something, great rods and only 50bucks or so. Line I use 10 or 12 trilene mono for mainline and 10-12-14 seaguar floro leader, I never lose fish and Ive broke off 2 fish all year, one was not changing leader due to laziness the other was a fish in the prop which is sharp and cut the mainline. Hooks I use only Owner mosquito hooks, they are small wire very strong. For hybrids I use size 1 and for everything else I use size 2 sometimes 4 if the herring are smaller early in the year, and u always nose hook the herring when trolling/drifting someone said thru the dorsal fin, u will kill them in a few min and they never get hit that way unless under a float or livelining them
Old 09-27-2013, 01:30 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Can I ask what lake are you fishing? I want to go to Merrill Creek for brown trout this weekend, never been there. Any hints on what part of the lake I might fish or how deep I should be fishing? No sure where to start.

I don't know why you are losing fish, but I think if you keep experimenting you will figure it out. By the way - I really like my Ugly Stiks!