NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tackle Bag/Box/Bucket Recommendation - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 03-20-2015, 12:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Tackle Bag/Box/Bucket Recommendation

I fish a combination of charter and head boats throughout the year. On head boats I obviously bring my own rigs and depending upon the charter I will also bring my own rigs.

I mainly bottom fish and will bring my surf plug bag with me should it be that time of year for albies/blues/bonito etc....

The last 3 years I have been utilizing a 5 Gal white bucket...not gonna lie it does the trick! Old coffee can inside for my weight along with sandwich bags for rigs. Works awesome as a trash can in a pinch as well and IT DOES NOT RUST! The drawbacks are the amount of water it collects per trip inside and well I always find a little clam after the fact!

That being said I really need a tackle bag/box system for my trips (about 15-20 per year). Could anyone recommend a tackle storage system that I can use for both bottom fishing rigs/weight/pliers/knife. Does not have to be big as I will load it up prior to each trip.
One of the key things for me is anti rust zippers and a material that will not take me 5 minutes to get a hook out if it gets snagged by accident.

I tried the Cabellas bag and it was pure crap (zipper broke prior to my first trip). I don't mind spending a little cash on a quality product.

Thanks for the recommendations and links if you have em!
Old 03-20-2015, 12:15 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Talking Re: Tackle Bag/Box/Bucket Recommendation

Continue to use your bucket and top it off with the Plano Bucket Topper.
I use one bucket for Fluke and another for bottom / wreck fishing. Plenty of room for your rigs and weights / bucktails and it keeps the water out.
Very inexpensive too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002W2ZRS4/...l_354a2kw9y4_e
Old 03-20-2015, 01:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Tackle Bag/Box/Bucket Recommendation

I use a tool box with one tray on top. Tackle box's are just a bunch of useless small compartments.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

could always punch a few small holes in the bottom to get rid of the water. a bucket and a backpack are the way to go
Old 03-20-2015, 01:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

For bottom fishing???

All I bring now is a bucket, lead, leader, hooks and barrel swivels. (Spare reel)

for blackfish?? this has really kept the workspace clean and simplified everything.

You'll never see a mate or captain pull out a crazy large tackle box.

For fluke? Through a handful of bucktails in. If you loose them all its time to switch to bait anyway.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:55 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Hey harpoon . Over the years of trial and error of expensive bags and tackle boxes, I have found what works for me are the boat boxes. They sell them at all sporting good stores and west marine carries them also. There no nonsense . There is a storage place on top for small things, open it up it has a top removable tray for hooks ,pliers , rigs,leader, etc and underneath is just all open space . I have one for fluke/bass And for offshore wreck fishing I have a 500 yd spool in there that fits perfectly and various lead.. and they cost like 20$...
Old 03-20-2015, 02:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the feedback! I already bought one of those 5gal bucket toppers and will drill some holes. Maybe I'll expand on it someone day but I'll give this a try.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

For just a simple box for sinkers rings and a few lures, I'd go with a plano waterproof case.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:52 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I use the Shimano Borona (md size) and even though it was expensive, it has features I couldn't find anywhere else. It has the planos stacked with a front opening for easy access, and I make sure to wax the zippers to make sure it doesn't go to crap quickly (I use a crayon). Plenty of room for rigs, scissors, pliers, knives, line, etc. Try to give your bag a quick cleaning after each use to extend its lifetime. I also bring a cooler where I mounted a cutting board on top to make for a good space to do cutting/measuring. Great for a party boat but there are loads of options to choose from. Good luck

Philly-Ventnor
Old 03-20-2015, 03:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I hate tackle boxes - they all break. So stick with the bucket or try this, its all I use now:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12-...=5yc1vZc2g6Zrd

I find that they last about 3-4 years and takes an absolute beating. I use a permanent marker to put my name on it - can't beat the price!

This holds all my gear, and I bring a small 7 quart cooler for my lunch/taking home fish.

I do like the bucket approach too, but I find they don't fit under the bench on all boats...