NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New to NJ. Where to Fish? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-18-2018, 09:12 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: New to NJ. Where to Fish?

Thanks all really appreciate the help here. I have a lake house up in Mass so I don't want to get rid of the 40 hp completely. It does look like I will be picking up a trolling motor for the rear.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:18 AM
NJFishing.com Member

In these electric only lakes I'm able to go out there with my 40 tilted all the way up? like Manasquan res for example.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:58 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I agree with Rich196, 2 trolling motors will get you around most NJ lakes all day. I have 2 motors on 16.5 starcraft and have never had issues not going all day. I have 2 batteries also. pretty close to you lakes are Farrington/dallenback/mercer/cranegie/assumpink. I usually hit these with good LM bass numbers. Lots of weekend pressure so get there before sunrise, but weekday is empty. They say Manasquan has smallies but I have not go any.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Manasquan definitely has smallies in it, as well as hybrid stripers and tiger musky. Here's the Monmouth County page with contact info:

https://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/page.aspx?ID=2531
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 12-20-2018, 10:03 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfishin11 View Post
In these electric only lakes I'm able to go out there with my 40 tilted all the way up? like Manasquan res for example.
I would say in most you can. I have seen it done frequently in Merrill Creek and the Newark sheds (Clinton, Oak Ridge, Cannistear and Echo), but check the lake's regulations before doing it.

BTW, I highly recommend the Newark sheds. They charge for a fishing permint and a boat launch permit, but it's worth it and keeps a lot of the yahoos and the bucket brigade out.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:37 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfishin11 View Post
I heard in Manasquan last year they made you take the prop off but I cannot confirm that.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:48 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoop View Post
I heard in Manasquan last year they made you take the prop off but I cannot confirm that.

Thanks guys really appreciate it.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:17 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfishhead View Post
Welcome to the forum and the state. Neighbor!
I have almost the same setup as you and fish Lefferts a quite a few times a year.I just leave my fuel tank in the truck and tilt the main motor up.
Lefferts has Lmb , pickerel , crappie, blue gill and I have seen ppl catch catfish.
One of these nights I’m going to pull a all nighter for kitty and crappie but just need to find the time.

The place can get a lot of pressure on weekends and the weeds get thick in the back in summer so fish the back in sping and late fall and the main lake (front part) in summer. I’m sure others will chime in and give a few pointers on this lake that I my not know about.

I do fish all over the state as it has a lot to offer. Your on the right track with the right group of people here on this site.

Tight lines and Happy Holidays.
Check your pms I have a question for you
Old 12-23-2018, 04:17 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I live in Keyport and have fished Lefferts too many times to count over 35 years. I still fish it a half dozen times a year but spend most of my days at Manasquan. Lefferts is my first trip every year to shake the cobwebs off. Plenty of pickerel can be caught there but the bass can be finicky. Soft plastics and spinnerbaits fooled most of my fish there. The weeds get really thick so anything with exposed hooks can be a pain to use. Manasquan keeps me coming back because of the various ways fish can be caught there once you find them. From what I have witnessed there is no problem leaving the prop on the gas motor and tilting it down. The Rangers have not been stringent with that rule. I fish out of a Skeeter boat without a gas motor and run a bow and transom electric motors. You will have no problem using your boat in any of the lakes around our area. Thompson Park in Lincroft and Deal Lake In Asbury Park also get a few trips from me each year. I also like Assunpink and the smaller lake near there Rising Sun and Stone Tavern.

Last edited by DDDman; 12-23-2018 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: More info.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:51 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I have a question about the Newark Watershed properties. The web site says no kayaks or canoes. Es verdad?
I fished off the shore at Green Turtle yesterday for nothing. A guy in a boat with two trolling motors said they were getting perch and one bass.