NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

5hp outboard starting problem - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 08-07-2011, 08:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default 5hp outboard starting problem

i have a 2 cycle 5hp force outboard that i had recently gotten fixed for a shifting problem. the guy did a great job but when i got it back, starting it became a problem. when i let it sit and start it, it fires rite up, but once i turn it off ant try to turn it back on again, it just dosent start. this concerns me because before i brought it in, it would fire up on the first pull every time. does anybody know what this could be?

"You can watch things happen, make things happen or wonder what the !#$ just happened" - Captain Phil Harris

<><
Old 08-08-2011, 05:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 5hp outboard starting problem

Bring it back to the guy

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

cant, i got it done when i was in montauk

"You can watch things happen, make things happen or wonder what the !#$ just happened" - Captain Phil Harris

<><
Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Tons of questions to just guess at what it is.

How do you know he did a "great" job? Did he run it and shift it at his shop for you?

How did it start at that time?

Did you lay the motor down in the truck for the ride home? Debris, dirt, get into the carb from the motor being on its side, etc?

Etc, etc, etc.......call him and ask if anything he saw was outta the ordinary and explain your problem.

"95% of problems occur due to a recent repair"

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 08-10-2011, 09:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN D
i have a 2 cycle 5hp force outboard that i had recently gotten fixed for a shifting problem. the guy did a great job but when i got it back, starting it became a problem. when i let it sit and start it, it fires rite up, but once i turn it off ant try to turn it back on again, it just dosent start. this concerns me because before i brought it in, it would fire up on the first pull every time. does anybody know what this could be?

Without knowing what the "shifting problem" was folks may need additional info to potentially help. Starting problems often tend to be carb-related and it sounds like you may be getting flooded with gas or no spark at the plugs? Your problem may be unrelated to the initial fix by the Guy in LI???

I completely rebuilt my OB Johnson 5 1/2 HP motor (1956-in the water 9 years before I was even born) 17 years ago and it still purrs like a kitten. When ya gotta a good one they are like a Timex...they keep on ticking
Old 08-10-2011, 11:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

to answer all of your questions, the shifting problem in the lower unit, the gears where not connecting properly. so that had nothing to do with the engine itself. i know that the problem is not flooding because this has been happening for abot a week now and i have had the same problem as earlier mentioned every time i tried it. i also know its not the spark plug because i sprayed it with starter fluid and she works like a charm the first time i try so it cant be that. when the mecanic finished he ran the moter in his little dinghy and it ran great. the only thing is that he didn't kill it and try to start it up again. which is my current problem.

hope this clears some stuff up. if anybody still knows what this could be, i would greatly appreceate it.

<><
Old 08-11-2011, 12:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hi- If it's any help, I used to have a 120hp Force that I had serious problems with. Most of the starting problems stemmed from a faulty negative ground on the starter. It might not be the case with a 5hp, but if there are any electrical connections that you can look at, do it.
Good luck.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

. the guy did a great job [/QUOTE]
Casy Anthony did a great job of mothering.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalfisherman
. the guy did a great job
Casy Anthony did a great job of mothering.[/QUOTE]
he fixed what i payed him to fix.

<><