NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Paddle Fish in Raritan - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-21-2019, 12:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Paddle Fish in Raritan

I am unaware of Paddlefish ever existing in any NJ waterway, but hey, who knows these days... Personally, I would be more inclined to think perhaps a lost sturgeon found its way up the Raritan river, and they have a pretty good size snout. Is that possible?.

A paddlefish is pretty much unheard of in NJ.. There were some stocked into Pa. and NY state rivers many years ago although they don't reproduce there.. Perhaps one found its way through a maze of rivers and creeks from Pa, or NY waters and wound up in the Raritan... bob

From wiki-

Habitat and distribution

American paddlefish are highly mobile and well adapted to living in rivers.[8] They inhabit many types of riverine habitats throughout much of the Mississippi Valley and adjacent Gulf slope drainages. They occur most frequently in deeper, low current areas such as side channels, oxbows, backwater lakes, bayous, and tailwaters below dams. They have been observed to move more than 2,000 mi (3,200 km) in a river system.[8]

American paddlefish are endemic to the Mississippi River Basin, historically occurring from the Missouri and Yellowstone rivers in the northwest to the Ohio and Allegheny rivers of the northeast; the headwaters of the Mississippi River south to its mouth, from the San Jacinto River in the southwest to the Tombigbee and Alabama rivers of the southeast.[23] They were extirpated from New York, Maryland and Pennsylvania, as well as from much of their peripheral range in the Great Lakes region, including Lake Huron and Lake Helen in Canada.[15][16] In 1991, Pennsylvania implemented a reintroduction program utilizing hatchery-reared American paddlefish in an effort to establish self-sustaining populations in the upper Ohio and lower Allegheny rivers. In 1998, New York initiated a stocking program upstream in the Allegheny Reservoir above Kinzua Dam, and a second stocking in 2006 in Conewango Creek, a relatively unaltered section of their historic range. Reports of free ranging adults captured by gill nets have since been documented in Pennsylvania and New York, but there is no evidence of natural reproduction.[31][32] They are currently found in 22 states in the US, and are protected under state and federal laws. There are 13 states that allow commercial or sport fishing for American paddlefish.[26]
Old 08-21-2019, 02:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
There were some stocked into Pa. and NY state rivers many years ago although they don't reproduce there.. Perhaps one found its way through a maze of rivers and creeks from Pa, or NY waters and wound up in the Raritan... bob
Fish from the delaware end up in the raritan via the d&r canal. So a possibility there. But i have no idea what the status of paddlefish are in the delaware.

I will also state how it's unlikely for a sturgeon to be up past the fish ladder.
But who knows. That raritan is a crazy place
Old 08-21-2019, 04:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Fish from the delaware end up in the raritan via the d&r canal. So a possibility there. But i have no idea what the status of paddlefish are in the delaware.

I will also state how it's unlikely for a sturgeon to be up past the fish ladder.
yeah, only problem is they were stocked in a couple rivers in western Pa, and a couple in western NY, FAR from the Delaware... Not sure how it could have even made it into the Delaware, let alone the Raritan, but as I said, who knows??.. These fish/ wild animals do what THEY want to do, NOT what we humans "expect" them to do.. I have no reason to doubt the OP ..

Many years ago I saw a pitch black Mountain Lion right on my property here in NY state, despite the NYS DEC saying they don't exist here. however they ARE spotted on occasion here in the Southern Tier even photographed, despite what the "experts" say... So a Paddlefish in the raritan??.. Just as likely as a Mountain Lion in NY state I suppose ......bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 08-21-2019 at 04:43 PM..
Old 08-21-2019, 05:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
yeah, only problem is they were stocked in a couple rivers in western Pa, and a couple in western NY, FAR from the Delaware... Not sure how it could have even made it into the Delaware, let alone the Raritan, but as I said, who knows??.. These fish/ wild animals do what THEY want to do, NOT what we humans "expect" them to do.. I have no reason to doubt the OP ..

Many years ago I saw a pitch black Mountain Lion right on my property here in NY state, despite the NYS DEC saying they don't exist here. however they ARE spotted on occasion here in the Southern Tier even photographed, despite what the "experts" say... So a Paddlefish in the raritan??.. Just as likely as a Mountain Lion in NY state I suppose ......bob
Well in that case about where paddlefish are stocked, i dont see a route where one could swim from those stocking points to the delaware.
Maybe someone stocked their own paddlefish into the raritan for the hell of it

Those mountain lion reports are neat too.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post

]

Sturgeon are known jumpers and could EASILY launch itself over the fish ladder or bypass the through the opening.