NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Some Comments on Fluke - Page 6 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Some Comments on Fluke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Bear
Yeah wouldn't bother me one bit actually. A couple keeper fluke to eat fresh and not frozen and enjoying a nice relaxing day on the water sounds like a pretty good recipe for "happy" to me!
hahaha...now who's putting themselves before the "greater good.....

not many NJ head boats gonna put people on the deck for 2-3 keepers @ 50-60 bux per head

GODS SPEED MY BROTHER... LIFES A BEACH 4EVER

OMT BUCKTAILS GET IT DONE

Proud member of the 52lb on The Wall Club

dey eats my baits... I eats dem club

Member of the Monger Nation

PLANT ICE .... HARVEST WIND...JUST SAYING
Old 03-03-2012, 03:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken bobber
Mick and Gerry.... i guess its me... but try and understand my thinking on this.....

Its NOT, oh 5 fish is enough for anyone why complain about not keeping 8....

Its about what this could lead to when the People in charge of decisions claim we have now over fished this season so next year we HAVE TO GO TO 3 or possibly 2 fish in 2013/2014.....yea yea it sounds crazy right..... tell the guys in NY that after looking at the past practices.....

Honestly... would you be happy keeping only 2 or 3 fish at 17.5 inches this year.... come on
I agree!!!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
hahaha...now who's putting themselves before the "greater good.....

not many NJ head boats gonna put people on the deck for 2-3 keepers @ 50-60 bux per head
So all the summertime families and tourists looking to enjoy a fun day of fishing are going to say "sorry kids this year the limit is 2-3 keepers and not 8, looks like it's mini-golf instead!"
Let them take home a fish and maybe next year maybe you see them back. They sure don't need 8 to be happy.

Additionally, how many people walk off head boats with MORE than 2-3 keepers a trip? Sure seems like people have still been paying the 50-60 bucks and leaving with 0-2 keepers anyway. Goes back to what I said about blackfisherman and bag limits.

The "greater good" is to keep the season open during it's peak (summer months) and let people actually take something home with them.

Last edited by Sea Bear; 03-03-2012 at 04:03 PM..
Old 03-03-2012, 03:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Mick and Gerry.... i guess its me... but try and understand my thinking on this.....

Its about what this could lead to when the People in charge of decisions claim we have now over fished this season so next year we HAVE TO GO TO 3 or possibly 2 fish in 2013/2014.....yea yea it sounds crazy right..... tell the guys in NY that after looking at the past practices.....

Honestly... would you be happy keeping only 2 or 3 fish at 17.5 inches this year.... come on
.. I understand the way fishery management has been that is DEFINETLY a concern , but since most of the surveys show the majority of fluke in our waters are 16-16 1/2" I dont think (AND HOPE ) that doesnt happen. I think if anything we did catch alot more keepers when It was at 16" just becasue that was the size most available on hand.

Hopefully them setting the bag limit of 5 at 17 1/2" eliminates the chance of over fishing.

Plus If done correctly since its based on Tonage and not Number of fish caught . some smaller fish should show less total weight caught per angler ??

New yorks regs are based on Montauk ETC where each fish caught is like catching 3 fish here at 18" weight wise .

There limit reflects that , catch 3, 4 pounders that 12 pounds of fish , same as us keeping 6 , 2 pounders etc

.Just them basing it on weight and not fish caught puts us behind the 8 ball as all those bigger fish take away from the total much faster

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 03-03-2012, 04:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I see your point Tom, its just my opinion that they are going to do whatever they damn well please anyway. All I'm trying to point out is that 98% of the folks on here that fluke fish don't limit out anyway. Guys like you and a few other very good flukers can catch 17.5" fish most of the day. All the rest of us are going to be lucky to limit on the 17.5's, and I'm one of those guys.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:

Bobber, you're striking the right chords here with this. It is NOT about catching more fish, I was lucky enough to have a great season this year and actually did limit out several times, I am an addict as well to fishing and as others have put it, fishing is and has been since childhood my retreat and emotional therapy that I enjoy doing more than anything else...not the point. I also hope this size limit allows for the beginner fisherman, the dad and his kids to catch more fish and be repeat customers for the benefit of the boats and the fishing business. But, It's about what WILL happen next year when those in control can and will say we over fished our quotas this year, depleted the stock and now we need to course correct to fix that with I can only imagine what the numbers WILL be... 2-3 at 18"- let's go the NY route and up it to let's say 19" and 3? For those of you working to support our rights, I do thank you sincerely. I just wish I could see that that support was paying dividends for the longer term.
Supporter and Member of RFA/NJ
IGFA Member
www.sharkbite-bucktails.com
Old 03-03-2012, 04:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTB
We have another winner. Said many times, if you go to 5, next time you have to take a reduction where are you going to start from??
Capt.TB you make the most sense on this issue and many others. I wish the Captains from down South "Tuckerton to Cape May Pt." would look at the big picture like you do on these fluke regs. Thank you for all your work on this and many issues concerning the WHOLE state of recreational anglers.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Bear
So all the summertime families and tourists looking to enjoy a fun day of fishing are going to say "sorry kids this year the limit is 2-3 keepers and not 8, looks like it's mini-golf instead!"
Let them take home a fish and maybe next year you'll see them back.

Additionally, how many people walk off head boats with MORE than 2-3 keepers a trip? Sure seems like people have still been paying the 50-60 bucks and leaving with 0-2 keepers anyway. Goes back to what I said about blackfisherman and bag limits.
AGAIN my point also..... so this year they MAY take home some fish with the new limits...... but what happens when all this backfires and the fisheries people say ok we gotta go back to 18 but sorry only 2-3 fish can be kept... there is to much potential in this ruling to hurt the industry in the long run, which is why i made an earlier point of why not leave all as is and put in the 2 slot fish at 17-17.5..... the argument was because the Co's would have to do more work ....really ?????

GODS SPEED MY BROTHER... LIFES A BEACH 4EVER

OMT BUCKTAILS GET IT DONE

Proud member of the 52lb on The Wall Club

dey eats my baits... I eats dem club

Member of the Monger Nation

PLANT ICE .... HARVEST WIND...JUST SAYING
Old 03-03-2012, 04:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
AGAIN my point also..... so this year they MAY take home some fish with the new limits...... but what happens when all this backfires and the fisheries people say ok we gotta go back to 18 but sorry only 2-3 fish can be kept... there is to much potential in this ruling to hurt the industry in the long run, which is why i made an earlier point of why not leave all as is and put in the 2 slot fish at 17-17.5..... the argument was because the Co's would have to do more work ....really ?????
You seem certain that a slot fish system would have less potential to hurt the long term fishery than what was chosen...?
It seems a pretty big leap to already have a "doomsday" attitude just as a belief. There's no telling what the "powers that be" will feed us after this season, no matter what set of regulations were chosen, no matter how good or bad the season was, no matter how many fish were kept or not kept. I don't see the validity in trying to be "Ms. Cleo" about it.

Last edited by Sea Bear; 03-03-2012 at 04:32 PM..
Old 03-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Tommy - Believe me when I say I respect your opinon on this. You are probably the most dedicated and passionate Fluker I've ever met. Also remember, I too supported option 2 for the same reasons you, Tony and many others on this site supported it.

My point in my earlier post is even though I have a difference of opinion with others who voted differently, I don't think that should divide us or cause us to pull our support of those people or organizations. They carry the tourch on much bigger things and deserve our support and appreciation and I consider them part of the team.

Next time I see Adam and Fran I will shake their hands, thank them for their service and then respectfully try and convince them of the err in their southern ways on this particular issue.

How's that for politically correctness

Quote:

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of SSFFF and RFA
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 03-03-2012 at 05:02 PM..