NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Hybrid M+G 10/26 on LH - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-25-2014, 10:52 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Hybrid M+G 10/26 on LH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Did I mention the fee..... JK
BTW, the charter deposit is due
Old 09-25-2014, 01:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
Then an offshore snap weight w usually 2oz sometimes 3oz in deep water and i use the precision trolling table chart to set my depths using my speed.
Jimmy - Curiosity question - I've never tried the snap weights but do you have a preference for them over downriggers and if so, why?
Old 09-25-2014, 01:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyStick View Post
Jimmy - Curiosity question - I've never tried the snap weights but do you have a preference for them over downriggers and if so, why?
I do have a preference and its just ease of use and space in the boat. I know alot of guys dont troll, but when u start getting the hang of it theres nothing else that produces fish. I usually start run and gunning spots/areas and then I set out trolling rods unless I find good marks I wanna downline on. I have a dozen of the same rod setups for downline/trolling and a set for planer boards, so I can switch very fast without re-tieing any lines, takes me more time to get them out of the rod rack.

Once u learn how to read ur depths and have confidence in ur delivery, theres no need for downriggers unless you are fishing 30ft plus, even then divers/tadpoles/etc can be VERY accurate. I dont see the need to use downriggers and the fuss that comes with them to fish 10-20ft down, I can do that very easy w snap weights or trip divers. The only advantage to downriggers is the lead lengths, and thats where they shine. Say Im fishing tight turns in snaggy stuff, I have to let out 60ft or so of line to get down 30ft w a snap weight at 1mph, and I may have 60ft of line behind the snap weight, so Im in essence 90ft behind my rod holder if you account for the angle of depth approx 45degrees for your line. With a downrigger, I can be straight up and down to the ball and have whatever line I want as the trailer behind the ball, or even stack the line onto the cable. This is rare for me, so I rarely use teh riggeres except in RV and MC where Im fishing at least one side deep for lakers. Another easy way and cheap is leadcore line, also very easy to run and monitor depths. If you dont have confidence get precision trolling by Mark Romanack, its the bible. They have an app too for smartphones, has it all, lures, snap weights, leadcore, 50/50 method, 20plus method, etc. I have tested most of my methods in basins around 25-30ft and its dead accurate. I started expirimenting and I picked a species and style and fished just that for the day, good or bad results. Didnt take long to build confidence, especially when u test ur theory in a sand basin and u hit bottom exactly where u think it will, the rest is up to the fish and your presentation, depth control is half the battle
Old 09-25-2014, 02:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatcreek View Post
Funny jimmy we do things different but in a lot way way somewhat the same and on different budgets for sure. I went from four planers and a down rigger to the four downlines and two planners so I can turn tighter and stay on the fish much like you hoover on them. I also mark the spot when I hit the fish, I just use a marker buoy instead of a way-point on the gps. (way-point on gps is way above my pay-grade) I then just keep turning on the buoy and try to keep track of where they move with sonar. It's near impossible to find the same spot in the middle of a lake without a marker of some sort. I have used way-points, but find chucking the buoy like a grenade when a fish hits is more fun for me and simpler. Wait I think I just hit on a new technique. (anybody got any grenades)

totally agree Phil, its just a little tweak to the same idea and style. I saw most of the guys down there with downriggers fishing 15ft and higher,and just see no need for it, much easier ways in my opinion. Some of the guys that hammer them up here in LH have a ratty old tin and a dinosaur motor, they prob laugh when they see me go by and call me a fool......And yeah u dont need all the crap I got, Im just lazy and dont wanna deal with an anchor or throwing markers, I just wanna fish and relax. Hell Im ready to just build a little pond and stock it so I dont have to get in my truck and launch a boat anymore LOL
Old 09-25-2014, 04:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Hybrid M+G 10/26 on LH

I'll be there ready to WHOOP some A$$ FASTEDDIE STYLE! YEA BUDDY!!!!!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Amped for this. Had a blast last year using some of jimmys mentioned three way and downline methods on dales boat. Windy as hell and we still managed about 8 wipers anchored up. We saw guys using livers kinda like they were drop shotting... slaying! Jimmy, any thoughts on what they were doing exactly? There was three boats almost rafting and just pounding fish. Dale and I were right outside of them marking fish but only had a pick using herring.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Some of the foreigners use chicken livers in the fall just like u were catfishing, they use them on fishfinder rigs. I personally hate the smell and mess of them, I'd have to be desperate to use them haha. The wipers bottom orient in the fall, they will pick up bait off the bottom, some days I hear dead herring work better, and I guess the chicken livers give off a good smell. There are guys using them now already from what I hear, so they must work. I dont own an anchor and dont really wanna sit in one spot long, so not my style, but feel free to bring some and try em out. I do well with my style and methods, no need to complicate things. Eddie and I fished my boat last year and were high hooks for the day, 90% of our fish came 1 foot off bottom, we sat on a school of herring for an hour w fish all over without a bite on herring or binskys. U never know what the weather and sky will bring you, this year cloudy and especially rainy/misty days have been killer, blue bird skies have been lousy this year
Old 09-26-2014, 05:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
Some of the foreigners use chicken livers in the fall just like u were catfishing, they use them on fishfinder rigs. I personally hate the smell and mess of them,
They're pretty nasty lol... I'm not interested in using them. I was just curious about their technique. Their rigs looked like drop shot rigs or 3-4" dropper loops like 6-12" above the sinkers.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hey ZIP IT THERE BUDDY!!!!!
I'll keep it all to myself!!!!!
STOKED for the Big EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!!!

16 Ft Princecraft DLX
9.9 Johnson
HELIX 7 Si GPS
Old 09-27-2014, 12:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I am def in with my cousin again. Time to get all my materials and poles ready. I'm so pumped!