NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

new waders - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-31-2018, 05:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: new waders

I’ve worn the Aquaz boot foots in winter like now in 36 degree water . Mine have the Boggs boots with a neoprene connection this elimates any chaffing ang gives the boot more flexibility in that area .
The Boggs are 5mm insulated and tops 4 ply breathable very flexible but tough.
I e worn these four 4 seasons now only in winter consditions then switch over to their stocking foots once water in mid 40’s !
I generally fish several times a week in winter when conditions aren’t too bad and I’m totally satisfied with all my Aquaz waders 👍
Not cheap but I’m certainly getting what I paid for so far & last season alone I fished trout about 75 days much in cold weather !
Neoprenes are warm but can be more difficult to walk distances , however if ur not a walker then nonissue !
Old 01-31-2018, 09:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
So if you’re standing in 35 degree water for two hours in January paper thin breathable waders are just as warm as 5mm neoprene’s? I fish all winter and my legs never get cold wearing the neoprene’s.
I wear a thick pair of Polar fleece pants under my thin "summer" waders and have never been cold, even in the winter.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I cant speak to the Frog Toggs, I have never owned them. Since you are looking for breathable stocking foot, I would suggest staying away from Simms, only there high end G series is made in the Bozeman, the rest is sourced from overseas. I had Freestone's and they were just problems.

Orvis quality has gone way down, you certainly don't get your moneys worth!

On the cheap, you can't beat the Cabelas brand, but don't expect a lifespan past 3 years.

If you are 6' or taller, there are two brands I would recommend, Redington or LLBean. Both have great warranties & customer service. Both are made with extra leg length to not put stress on the seat seams when climbing over fallen trees or down banks. As far as extra features, they are probably the equal. Hope that helps.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:07 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJS View Post
I cant speak to the Frog Toggs, I have never owned them. Since you are looking for breathable stocking foot, I would suggest staying away from Simms, only there high end G series is made in the Bozeman, the rest is sourced from overseas. I had Freestone's and they were just problems.

Orvis quality has gone way down, you certainly don't get your moneys worth!

On the cheap, you can't beat the Cabelas brand, but don't expect a lifespan past 3 years.

If you are 6' or taller, there are two brands I would recommend, Redington or LLBean. Both have great warranties & customer service. Both are made with extra leg length to not put stress on the seat seams when climbing over fallen trees or down banks. As far as extra features, they are probably the equal. Hope that helps.
100% agree on the LLBean, I'm 6'3" and the waders are the most comfortable ones I have ever owned.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Anyone ever use these?

https://dryftfishing.com/shop/s14-adrenaline-wader/
Old 02-01-2018, 12:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

so i fish for everything that NJ has to offer and that probably puts me in the rivers wading maybe 30 times per year on average. My cheap $100 pro-line neoprene waders lasted me about 6 years before the boot leak became virtually non-fixable. If i pay $180 for waders and another 70-80 for boots am i just dreaming expecting them to last longer than that???

now i'm considering just buying another pair of cheapo ones if it's all doing to leak no matter what
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 02-01-2018, 01:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i'm no thinking L.L. Bean if that warranty statement on their site holds true...anyone ever made a return to them that can confirm?

It says basically for any reason if not satisfied they'll exchange or return...I'd expect at least 5-6 years of avg 30 trip seasons without bad leaks due to usage on the seams. maybe small fixable ones once or twice...not including any that are my own fault.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
so i fish for everything that NJ has to offer and that probably puts me in the rivers wading maybe 30 times per year on average. My cheap $100 pro-line neoprene waders lasted me about 6 years before the boot leak became virtually non-fixable. If i pay $180 for waders and another 70-80 for boots am i just dreaming expecting them to last longer than that???

now i'm considering just buying another pair of cheapo ones if it's all doing to leak no matter what
No, I think that's not an unreasonable expectation given the number of times you fish per year. 30x a year I would say your waders will last 3 years without leaks if they are hung and left to dry after use, you don't step on the stocking foot to get your leg out, you use a mat to stand on while getting your waders off, and do not go running through the forest blindfolded.... just reasonable care. Out of the waders I had and still have, the Redington's seem to be the most bulletproof, but they are also slightly heavier than other breathable waders.

I had a pair of Cabelas waders a 2006, they lasted 3 years for $132. I replaced them with more expensive Simms waders and they quit after 1.5 years. Same amount of fishing time per year, just crap for quality. Went through numerous repairs with Simms, and they never not once came back to me leak free.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post

If you plunk down $250 combined I'd go with LL Bean for the wading shoes. I got 8 years out my last pair of their wading boots or about $10/yr of use. Can't beat that. Though Cabelas wading boots have treated me good too. Their breathable waders got me 5 years and would have lasted longer excepted I ripped them beyond repair in a nasty fall.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

In your opinions which is less likely to leak...the stocking feet or the built in boot style? I've only ever used built in boot style and eventually the boot is always what leaks to the point of being non-repairable.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to go with the l.l. bean emerger waders either the built in boot breathable version or the stocking foot breathable version with a pair of l.l. beans least expensive wading boot (either way about the same price $250).

I'm def going to hold them up to their warranty statement though, so i hope they stand behind it!