NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

A random find... - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-07-2017, 08:50 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: A random find...

Buy bait? Whoever heard of such a thing! I grew up in Hope Nj. fishing in tiny little Beaver brook. One of my best childhood memories was when my mother showed me the art of daytime night crawler hunting. A little powedered mustard mixed with water a spoon and two coffee cans one with water in it the other half filled with dirt and off to the back yard find a tiny pile of worm poop in the grass and remove it to uncover the worms underground lair take a spoonful of your liquified mustard pour it in the hole and get ready cause it wasn’t long and TA da! out came Mr. night crawler quickly rinsed it off and chuck it in the can of dirt and on to the next hole! Simple bait catching technique that had me catching sunnies chubs and the occasionally unfortunate turtle! Now them were the good old days that are long gone and unfortunately probably lost
Old 10-07-2017, 11:19 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

the good ole days when ticks and mosquitoes were just another bug!
Old 10-07-2017, 03:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Ah yes! The old mustard and water trick. I do remember using it but sneaking around with a flashlight in the yard at night was much more fun. Neighbors would probably call the police if they saw that these days.

Speaking of night time activities, we also used to shine flashlights along the banks of local ponds while fishing for frogs. If we found one, we would take a stick and a string with a hook and small piece of cloth attached and dangled it over the frog's head. The fun was to see just how high we could get the frog to jump to catch the bug ( cloth ). Why cloth? We didn't have extra cash to buy tied flies.

One more daytime activity besides fishing was to catch crawfish by hand. Lots of small brooks had them. We'd sort out the bigger ones and bring them home for a rock lobster boil. Trust me, there were some bigguns!

I hope kids still do kid things like we did. It really gave me an appreciation for what I have today and for why I still love to fish. It makes me feel like a kid and it always will.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I remember walking up a mid sized creek turning over rocks for crayfish, got to a big one in the middle, reached down, flipped it, AND A MUSKRAT JUMPED UP IN MY FACE, did a pb 50 yard dash outta there!!!
Old 10-07-2017, 07:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Today's biggest catch