NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

All around inshore rod/reel advice - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 02-03-2013, 12:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: All around inshore rod/reel advice

Get the Avet SX right off the bat. I started out with a Shimano Tekota myself and it was a nice reel, but there are some drawbacks to using a levelwind.

I picked up the SX a few years ago and haven't looked back. Ended up selling my Tekota because I just didn't use it anymore. You'll get used to leveling the line with your thumb. Once you do it enough it will become automatic.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I had fished the Calcutta 400 for ten years on a custom rod. It is a great little reel that held up very well. It is very good for fluke and casting light stuff at stripers.

The biggest problems I had we're if you had to put any kind of weight on them. With 8 oz plus, or a big heavy jig/croc the release button will get stuck. They do also require that the yearly service be completed. Had to totally rebuild mine one time.

I have never had a problem with the levelwind on it, it works flawlessly.

I wound up selling mine on eBay when I went to an avet type combo and missed the light little Calcutta bait aster style in my hand. I bought another used one on this site back in the early fall and plan on using it as my fluke only rod.

If you have to have one rod, go with the avet type reels, but if you can swing a second rod, those calcuttas are really nice to have.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartattack
Daiwa Lexa 300 - levelwind, power handle, lefty if desired, 22 lbs of drag & weighs only 11 ounces. Bring it !!

Yeah then you see the price tag

The revo winch is a monster I have that one, used it for fluke bass and tog this year.. thing was literally a winch.

But also $$$$

The SX is perfect, or the BG Gold series from Diawa is nice too
Supporter SSFFF
Founder & President FGGF
Old 02-07-2013, 03:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

AVET SX, then pick your rod
Old 02-08-2013, 05:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The Daiwa Lexa 300 is an awesome reel for what you posted here. Unreal drag, super light and a definite fish winch .
Has WAY more drag than alot of the Round reels , and casts like a baitcaster should. effortlessly.

Those of us who have fished them for the last year cant believe this reel had not come out sooner.

The lami triflex 7030 as well as the lami inshore classic is a great set up with this reel.

Daiwa is also supposed to unleash some new salt water rods this April, based on the demand for stripers, fluke and blackfish , supposed to be around 6 new rods coming out

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club