NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Kid Fishing @ L&H in Wall / TOP NOTCH !!! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-09-2011, 06:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Kid Fishing @ L&H in Wall / TOP NOTCH !!!

Headed to L&H in Wall with my 9-year old son this morning for the NJ Trout opener. Once again, the folks there did a fantastic job of setting up a great and fun event for the kids.

I guess my boy started off a bit "rusty" after the long Winter; because he lost/missed at least 6 or 7 bites within the first 45 minutes. It was torture for him to miss them or lose them without landing them, and I could see it was even more torturous for him to see others plucking trout, pickerel, and panfish all around us.

Eventually, he got back into the rhythym of waiting for the proper moment to set the hook, and he started catching fish one right after the other. In about 3 hours of fishing time with his "tried-n-true" worm & bobber combo, my son managed to catch & release:
2 rainbow trout
1 brook trout
1 largemouth bass
1 black crappie
10-12 bluegills

I was proud as peacock today, but not because of his fishing success. Rather, I was proud of the fact that despite the fact that we didn't get back home until almost Midnight Friday night, my son was standing at my bedside at 06:00 saying "Come on Dad, we have to get going early, so we can get a good spot!"

I think back 35 years ago; and as I scratch my bald head and gray beard, I can clearly remember a very similar 9-year old kid waking up early on the opening day wide-eyed, filled with excitement, and bouncing off the walls with enthusiasm for the opening day of trout season. If I close my eyes really tightly, I can almost hear that same boy saying "Come On Dad, we have to get going early so we can get a good spot!"

He's got the fever & it fills my heart with joy to know that my son may be blessed with the love of a sport that has truly brought me a lifetime of appreciation, enjoyment and love of the outdoors! I hope 35 years from now, he'll be fortunate enough to hear those same magic words.

- Gr8ful

Old 04-09-2011, 06:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Kid Fishing @ L&H in Wall / TOP NOTCH !!!

Good deal. Pickerel and bass too? I should see if they'll let me fish there in the summer. Seems like you could cover the whole pond in 30 minutes and then move on..*L*.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:41 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Great story! We hit the trout contest in Spring Lake and managed only one brookie.. If I may ask what is the L&H?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Kid Fishing @ L&H in Wall / TOP NOTCH !!!

You guys outfished the NJF meet and greet crew !! Great story and report !
Old 04-09-2011, 08:05 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

The tackle shop, L and H on route 35 in Wall. They have a small pond in the back.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:53 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks Guys!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:52 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

i drove by there the other day and the sign reads" fishing by permission of owner" who is the owner and and how hard is it to get the permission. l&H is 5 min from my house and it would be easy for me to bring my 3 year old
Old 04-12-2011, 04:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I assume you could get permission inside the shop. I'm sure if you buy something and have a three year old with you, you will be allowed to fish.