NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

More new water - Green Turtle Report 5/25 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-25-2019, 05:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default More new water - Green Turtle Report 5/25

Had a bit of free time today and decided to hit some new water, chose Green Turtle lake in Ringwood, NJ as the place to try. After having my roof rack blasted off my civic by a rogue sheet of ice from a tractor trailer this past winter, I finally replaced it! Only one thing to do after that, go kayak fishing! Got to the launch around 12:30 and was on the water in the yak minutes later. Very pretty place to fish, especially with all the leaves being back. There were a decent amount of people there. I like the size, big enough to feel like a lake but small enough to not be overwhelmed by what spots to fish.

I paddled to the other end and started fishing the banks while the breeze pushed me back. Right away I hooked up with a nice largemouth but after a short fight he jumped and threw my ned rig. This exact scenario proceeded happen 3 more times; hook, fight, jump, throw hook. Guess thats just how it goes sometimes All the bass were pretty decent sized ones, probably between 1 and 2lbs each. At least it was action!

I kept at it and managed a small pickerel, they were aggressive today. I switched over to a chatterbait after that and got some follows from large esox, I assume big pickerel, but no takers. Ended up heading out around 4:30.

It was a great day on the water despite all the lost fish, but I didn’t get skunked and I explored a new place. Loving this mild weather. Tight lines guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2B1C2B4F-3B82-49A6-99E7-D801C6E7C035.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	133746  

Last edited by Hookmanski; 05-25-2019 at 06:37 PM..
Old 05-25-2019, 08:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: More new water - Green Turtle Report 5/25

Nice dude! Always a great feeling to find success on new water.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: More new water - Green Turtle Report 5/25

Cool. Wish you took some pics of the lake and launch area also.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:04 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice report! Did you sharpen those hooks??.. Brand new hooks especially on lures can be shockingly dull, and need a few passes on a stone, seen it hundreds of times.. I would have been screaming curse words out loud, if 4 bass in a row came unbuttoned!
Old 05-26-2019, 03:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Nice report! Did you sharpen those hooks??.. Brand new hooks especially on lures can be shockingly dull, and need a few passes on a stone, seen it hundreds of times..
my thoughts exactly!

how was the road down to the launch area? people swimming? every time i go up there in the summer the boat ramp is blocked by swimmers
Old 05-27-2019, 07:10 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good work, Hooksbroski. When you get the clever jumpers all you can do is cross your fingers. To me it makes bass fishing more interesting via adding more randomness
Old 05-27-2019, 12:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Nice report! Did you sharpen those hooks??.. Brand new hooks especially on lures can be shockingly dull, and need a few passes on a stone, seen it hundreds of times.. I would have been screaming curse words out loud, if 4 bass in a row came unbuttoned!
That’s a great point, I’m going to order a stone as I don’t have one. I’ll definitely sharpen next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
how was the road down to the launch area? people swimming? every time i go up there in the summer the boat ramp is blocked by swimmers
The road down to the launch had one rough part with tons of potholes but other than that it was pretty good. There was definitely some action at the ramp, people launching inflatables and fishing, but I was able to back my civic right down to the water which made for an easy unload!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Good work, Hooksbroski. When you get the clever jumpers all you can do is cross your fingers. To me it makes bass fishing more interesting via adding more randomness
Thanks man, yeah those jumpers are clever for sure! I kept trying to keep them down but they all wanted to come up, I’ll get em next time!
Old 05-27-2019, 01:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
Thanks man, yeah those jumpers are clever for sure! I kept trying to keep them down but they all wanted to come up, I’ll get em next time!
I've learned that sticking the rod tip down (in a kayak) at too steep an angle is counterproductive, since once that fish dives again you can't control the slack.

Instead, when a fish starts zooming up for the sky, just hold your rod close and parallel to the water, and when the fish actually breaks surface dip your rod tip just slightly while maintaining pressure...once the fish lands, your rod angle is back to up/down immediately.

Fun fish: they dig, they jump, and sometimes they fake you out!
Old 05-27-2019, 02:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: More new water - Green Turtle Report 5/25

Lots of options up that way! No skunk = a great day. Can’t beat this weather right now. Keep at it bud!!!
Old 05-28-2019, 09:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Cool little place to fish. I do best with the Trout just before sunset there, there always seems to be some surface action around.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek