NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

maple syrup and trout - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-02-2016, 12:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default maple syrup and trout

been a busy week or so since i got back, but every may i make a trip with friends up to the cold clear waters of central vermont for trout fishing. i look forward to this trip even more now that we are rainbows-only here in NJ. don't get me wrong, i like our rainbows, but variety is the spice of life. they do a "trophy trout" stocking program in VT during the spring where they put 2+ year old brookies, browns and rainbows in to a bunch of waters around the state. same idea as NJ's fall and winter stocked trout, but they put them in during the spring because the trout season up there is mostly closed after 10/31. we make other stops for little wild brookies but the trophy trout are pretty much the fish we bounce around targeting.

got up to the house and unpacked and still had an hour and half of daylight left so hopped back in the truck and headed down to the first lake to try to find some brookies
set up a couple lines and trolled the perimeter got a couple perch before it was my buddy's turn to take the rod that was going off and he pulls in our first "trophy" trout of the trip - a 2yr brookie

quick photo and release in order to keep the fish-karma up for the rest of the trip. pissed off a beaver by entering his sovereign territory, picked away at a couple more assorted fish on the way back to the ramp and got off the water just after dark.

next morning hit a little watershed trout stream to try to find some wild brookies but couldn't find any takers. there were a few sets of fly client/guides that were also goose-egging so i didn't feel too bad. cold front had come through and it had actually snowed the night before we arrived (the mountain was still skiing until yesterday, 5/31), so i think the small fish were just off that day. on the way back to the truck got checked by a VT CO for our licenses.

switched things up that afternoon and hit a different lake that had brookies and rainbows

the next morning we headed down early to the trophy section of the black river. this is always a highlight of the trip, nice sized river, fast moving, lots of holes and they absolutely load it up with 2-3 year and larger trout.

the requisite covered bridge is actually one of the trophy section ends

we were shooting the breeze at the truck and just about to pack it up when 8 carloads of volunteers and the stocking truck roll up on the hole

still had waders on so asked if we could give them a hand and they were happy to have the help. got on the in-the-river end of the bucket brigade and helped get a couple hundred more trout (all rainbows this load) into the water. this was the second time that we've run into the stocking crews on the river and been able to help out... lot of fun to see just how big the fish they put in there. after the truck and volunteers headed downriver we went to see if any of the fresh fish were in an eating mood.

turned out they were hungry so we all C&R a few to help educate them before we called it a day.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:23 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: maple syrup and trout

went for lakers the next morning. while out there got checked by another VT CO. this guy had some dedication too... was driving by the lake in his truck when he noticed us out there so he pulled off, dropped a kayak in, and paddled across the lake to come check us out. i would absolutely love it if NJ DFW COs were so motivated. got some intel on the lakers before the CO took off, but it was pretty much what I had already been trying and we didn't end up connecting with any.

hit black river again that night to sooth the laker burn and did well again, landed about 10 fish, got most of them on video too, link down at the bottom

hit the brookie and rainbow lake again for the morning of the last day. my duranautic, the Ellie Bea, alone on the lake on a Satuday morning

did catch plenty of other fish too like dink larrys

and a the occasional solid perch

but the trout are really what we go up for

unlike previous years nothing really stood out as the go-to lure and we really threw the tackle box at each place to dial it in. the fish were there though, and it was just a matter of figuring out what they were looking for.

i love fishing in my home state of NJ (was very happy to move my PB trout back to NJ earlier this year), but if you like mountains and if you like good beer and if you like awesome access to water bodies (boat ramps everywhere!) but you still like nobody else on the lake you are on and if you like no litter in the streams you are wading... maybe a trip to VT is not a bad idea

and did i mention the maple syrup?

videos! click to watch

Old 06-02-2016, 01:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Congrats! That's a solid trip
Old 06-02-2016, 07:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

great trip!!!!!!you are blessed my friend
Old 06-02-2016, 08:24 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Beautiful pictures and fish.

From looks of it a solid trip all the way.

Andre
Old 06-02-2016, 09:26 AM
Banned

Epic trip and nice fish also great work!
Old 06-02-2016, 10:01 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the post, LOVE the VT Pictures.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:36 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Beautiful pics and nice report!

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 06-02-2016, 11:03 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

wow, i would've never guess freshly stocked fish eat that quickly after going through the process of being transported and dumped.

some sweet fishing!
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 06-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Site Sponsor

Just the scenery in those pics are worth more than the fish, fish are just a bounus. Do they launch those trout from nets or put them in the buckets and gentley pour them out ?
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423