NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

WTB Dog Training Collar - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:48 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default WTB Dog Training Collar

Got a very stubborn yellow lab that refuses to listen in the yard. In the house she is great.

Looking for a training collar that will gently get her attention when she starts ripping my grass out and refuses to come when called. A wild beast in the yard but a gentle pet indoors
Old 10-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: WTB Dog Training Collar

I'd like one of these for my wife

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-15-2013, 07:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have a sport dog collar for my chocolate lab. Not sure exactly which model but it has a tone feature so you can give her a few beeps before having to tap the shocker. I keep it on a very low correction and my stubborn lab usually responds to the tone so I rarely have to correct him.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

for background info, i train/ run labs in hunt tests and field trials as well as actively pheasant hunt.

an ecollar must FIRST be understood by the HANDLER that the dog will ONLY respond to KNOWN commands. the ecollar should ONLY be used as an extension of a LEASH, it is NOT to be used as lightning from the ground. a COMPLETE training program of transferring known commands from leash to ecollar must be undertaken.....ie dog knows "sit".....verbal "sit", coupled with leash correction of upward sharp pull. transfer to ecollar, verbal "sit", coupled with leash correction of upward sharp pull and a a low NICK with the ecollar.

for the op, i would suggest putting a 25ft training line on the dog (under supervision), let the dog get himself in trouble, grab the line from the furthest point, with a known command (we use "here", some use "come"), "here"! and PULL the dog out of trouble. if you go the route of an ecollar, mix the nick with the pull, gradually you'll let the the line off and the dog will become collar-wise in this situation

collars i have used and recommend

tritronics- flyway g3, any of the pro series
dogtra-3500ncp
(i prefer the tritronic collars and remotes over dogtra. i would shy away from the sport dog collar petey recommended if you're planning anything more than simple ob work, they just dont hold up)

good luck and train the dog to the task, not the task to the dog
Old 10-16-2013, 10:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Never had an issue with my sport dog. My dog has worn it while swimming and hiking through thick cover. I never used any of the other brands so I can not attest to them but my dog wears this collar almost every day all day long and it does what I need it to do. He ran away two times when I first got him so it's a security reassurance to know he has it on and will respond to my correction when he is being stubborn chasing squirrels.

He was not very obedient being a rescue dog and the collar in addition to the video provided and some research helped me train him. I am by no means an expert.