NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Passaic River (Pike/Carp Help) - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-16-2022, 01:41 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Passaic River (Pike/Carp Help)

Hi everyone,
Been on the site for a long time. Helped a few people out, learned a ton about fishing. I am looking to see if anyone has anything that they would be will to share in regard to Pike/Carp fishing in the Passaic River near Chatham. I have hit a couple of spots that have been recommended to me without any luck. Haven't done the carp thing yet (my son is begging me to go), but we have thrown the tackle box for Pike. Files, inline spinners, jerk baits, paddle tails.... nothing.

I am not looking for spots, but rather a helpfull hint or two the river. For carp, I was thinking about chumming heavy with corn then using a combo of corn and dough balls as bait (worked in the meadowlands).

In all honesty, I'm just trying to put my son on some fish. I'm a saltwater guy just waiting for my boat to be ready. Any little bit of info would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 05-16-2022, 02:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Passaic River (Pike/Carp Help)

One thing I know for sure about river Pike... There are times when they won't hit lures, even when you know they are there... If you want Pike, I would get some BIG live Shiners or any other good size live baitfish you could find... Pike will hit a bait very readily when the won't hit lures, especially soft rayed bait like shiners.. 3 feet under a bobber.. If Pike don't hit a big live shiner, chances are good they are not around.... bob
Old 05-16-2022, 03:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Have you been trying only recently? From my experience the pike fishing is weird (bad) in the spring, I just dont find them, just pickerel. But based of historic posts here, it should pick up soon. I will sometimes walk the river and find one just behind a simple branch or log.

For Carp, you should be able to see them while you venture around. Often just off the bank. I found they like access to a deeper hole while eating pretty shallow sometimes right off the bank.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:15 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Thank you for the feedback! Been out twice the last few days with nothing to show. My son got a bullhead on a tiny trout jig, but that's it. Had one follow on an inline spinner but turned away near the shoreline. Couldn't figure out what it was. River is still a little high. Gonna pick up a couple spinner baits and some soft baits and keep trying. I will keep you posted..... Thanks again!
Old 05-17-2022, 10:12 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyphins View Post
Thank you for the feedback! Been out twice the last few days with nothing to show. My son got a bullhead on a tiny trout jig, but that's it. Had one follow on an inline spinner but turned away near the shoreline. Couldn't figure out what it was. River is still a little high. Gonna pick up a couple spinner baits and some soft baits and keep trying. I will keep you posted..... Thanks again!
the river is tough to fish when its high, because the fish can be anywhere they want to, especially with how the water floods over the banks onto the floodplains.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My experience there was always down stream in the meadows. Weedbeds and big white spinner baits are where to start. They can get big. I saw one being held up by another fisherman that was easily 40 inches. That was in Fairfield under the rut 46 bridge.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Several years ago we boat electrofished a 40" 'er just upstream of the Camp Lane, Fairfield boat ramp.

https://nj.gov/dep/fgw/artpassaicpike_update20.htm
Old 05-17-2022, 02:12 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Great Info!!! Thanks. Gonna adjust my game plan and see where it takes me.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

There are definitely pike in that stretch near Chatham but they aren’t stocked that far upstream so I’d concentrate my efforts further downstream.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:08 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate01 View Post
There are definitely pike in that stretch near Chatham but they aren’t stocked that far upstream so I’d concentrate my efforts further downstream.
forget about where they are stocked imo, the whole river is infested haha... like luke said, early spring is not the easiest time to catch them. once the water warms up a little bit it gets much better.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54