NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Question for all you "HYBRID" experts - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-09-2019, 01:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Question for all you "HYBRID" experts

Me and the wife tried our luck at Spruce run last week at night. Got at the ramp at 10pm, headed out near the island, things were pretty quite, and about 12:30am the place turned on. I have never seen so much bait, and with Hybrid breaking EVERYWHERE. Me and the wife started with throwing a top water spook, and after over a hour without a touch, I switched over to my Ribbit frog, and caught a largemouth, and had a giant blow up, and had the fish on for a sec or two. Then I tied on a popper, and caught one (Which was my first hybrid ever) and miised another 2. For the guy's who fish for these fish at night, what is the best way to catch these monsters?
Old 07-09-2019, 08:25 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Question for all you "HYBRID" experts

Your throwing the right stuff in the right spot.... this time of the year when their is so much bait it’s tough to compete with them, just keep casting!!!!
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 07-09-2019, 09:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

never got one on a frog but spooks are good. try different sizes also. try other types of walk the dog lures like spittin images and chug bugs also if the lure does not rattle you are loosing the battle... like mikey said just keep casting and try different retrieve speeds good luck and tight lines.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lures are of course a lot less trouble, but I wonder if a few live herring tossed out without weight would draw quicker hits???..Herring are a pain, but thats what these fish are used to eating. bob
Old 07-10-2019, 10:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

There is always chicken liver if herring is too much trouble...Charlie
Old 07-10-2019, 10:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Like Mikey said, the tail end of the herring spawn is tough because they have been gorging on herring for a couple months and your lure is "competing" with tons of other herring in the shallows. You might get lucky and get a few but it's tough compared to the early herring spawn.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 07-11-2019, 02:01 PM
NJFishing.com Member

The herring feast this time of year makes them more picky. I usually live line 1 or 2 herring off the back of my boat while I cast from the front. On a night in June I caught 11 fish. 7 hybrids. All 11 were caught on the herring!! Not 1 on lures!

And i'm using the same lures as everyone, spooks, stick baits, etc. So maybe give the herring a try. It was the best way I found to land hybrids this time of year. And I switch to chicken livers in August.

There are much better fisherman than me on this thread. But based on one of my best night's ever I thought I would share.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:06 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

My buddy does very well with them on top water spooks, haven't gotten out to try to catch any myself. Add it to the list of fish i need to catch! Lol good luck and let us know when you stick some more!
Old 07-14-2019, 11:37 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
My buddy does very well with them on top water spooks, haven't gotten out to try to catch any myself. Add it to the list of fish i need to catch! Lol good luck and let us know when you stick some more!
Not that hard to catch, you just have to fish for them in the dead of night usually .. Either that or wait for the lakes to be empty of tourists in oct/nov, but even then, low light conditions are better...
Old 07-17-2019, 04:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thank you guy's for all the help. I was wondering why ALL the bait (And I mean millions of bait) were all so shallow in like 2-3 feet of water. Any idea when all that bait calms down do to the spawn? I cannot wait to bring the wife again, even though we didnt catch much... IT WAS A BLAST !!!!