NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Ethical Ice Fishermen - Page 7 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-18-2015, 07:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Ethical Ice Fishermen

Yes, big fish with good genetics Ned an opportunity to spread their genes
Old 01-18-2015, 08:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennysky View Post
Yes, big fish with good genetics Ned an opportunity to spread their genes
I agree 100%! It's also cool to see another angler catch the same big fish you released. I caught a state record and let her go, 3 guys have caught her since and released her. Catch and release works!
Old 01-18-2015, 08:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

State record pike?
Old 01-18-2015, 09:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennysky View Post
State record pike?
No, John Viglione still has that record. I haven't ever seen a pike over the low 20 pound range posted on the NJ sites.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: Ethical Ice Fishermen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
There's an old saying, "You can shear a sheep many times - but you can only skin him once.".

Is the value in a bass the experience fishing outdoors and catching a nice bass - or is it in frying up a few mercury-contaminated fillets? I go with the former. The best parts of bass fishing is the experience of fishing and catching - not killing.

At home I keep a small collection of chewed-up plastic baits. These are all someone else's baits that bass barfed up after I caught them. What it means to me is that catch-and-release works!

I don't know who these baits belonged to, but I know there are at least two bass fishermen who share the wonderful experience of catching the same trophy bass. Isn't that amazing?

In NJ, a four pound bass is about 10 years old. In the average over-fished NJ lake, that bass has probably been caught every one of those years, probably several times a year. She is one in a million -literally if you consider how many bass are hatched and how many grow to a memorable size. How many anglers have shared this experience of catching this same fish in her lifetime?

You are free to look down on our catch-and-release culture. Yes, Americans are dreamers and optimistic fools. We catch fish that we have every right to kill, yet we put them back in the water in the naive hope that this fish will grow bigger, populate the water with babies, and make another fisherman's day who will in turn place in her back in the water. We foolishly hope that our children will experience the same fishing opportunities that we had.

I would rather be an optimistic fool who sustains the fishery for my fellow anglers than a shameless consumer of gamefish who cares only about their own self-gratification.

Why you even mentioning bass when I was talking about pike and pickerel? Bass are perfect fish for catch and release due to their anatomical structure and their tolerance to high temperatures. When did I say that I look down on catch and release? When I catch a fish I don't intend to keep, I try not to even touch it with my hands. I unhook it and let it go. All of you guys telling stories about catching the same injured pike many times. It's just an exception to the rule.
You need to realize that pike are cold water fish who live way up north, almost up to the arctic circle and the summer temperatures we get in NJ are harmful for them. Why do you think they do not spawn here? Because It's too hot here. So if you catch a pike in the Passaic river in July using your crank bait with 3 treble hooks, unhook it for about 5 minutes while the fish is getting its gills burned by hot air, then grab it by its gills so your buddies can take a hundred pictures of you with a big fish, that fish now has very slim chances of survival. Instead of criticizing me, many of you need to learn how to handle a fish so you don't harm it. Because if you keep doing what you doing, and if the state stops stocking pike, they will disappear. Start using single barbless hooks and big soft nets, instead of those metal boga grips. Too bad instead of following my advises, you will call me a troll, well at least I tried. Maybe few people will listen to me.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:52 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ziti an, it's all good. No need to be upset. Just a difference in opinion of some and different approach.
Btw, pike can and do spawn in NJ right after ice out just the mortality rate of eggs and fry is extremely high. I would say 1% survive.