NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New state record Muskie ? - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 05:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: New state record Muskie ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcritch View Post
A lot of bodies of water like that throughout the US...and some of them are huge and border more that 2 states. I'll bet cross border lakes givning up record fish isn't all that rare out side of our little state with it's "little" big lakes. Hell, if you catch a monster in Lake Erie...you got Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, or Canada to choose from! Just need a lot of gas to prove you could have been anywhere!
Well put YOUNGSTER!!!!!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: New state record Muskie ?

We launched outta DeFeos today. The dude that runs the place said that fish came up his ramp this weekend. ..So he launched outta NY. Epic fish!

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 12-16-2014, 09:27 PM
NJFishing.com Member

A friend of mine who has caught as many muskies from Greenwood as anybody said the story he heard is he was jigging walleyes on the NY end of the lake and landed it on light line jigging.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScowardNJ View Post
We launched outta DeFeos today. The dude that runs the place said that fish came up his ramp this weekend. ..So he launched outta NY. Epic fish!
the weekend I seen u and skunk out they had the chains up at defeos, its usually defeos and willow point only this time of year. Last year the place next door to defeos was open too in december. regardless can u claim a record fish in NJ this way? Id think not but does anyone know for sure what the regs say? a google search turned up diff answers. one sight says its the state your license is out of if you fish a bi-state lake.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Dunoo what the regs say but I would imagine that the state line which runs through the lake has to be on some obscure map the no-body has seen...And whatever side you caught it on would be where you would try fer the record....Of course this would have to be an honor system sorta deal , so we ALL know how that would most likely go, with the NY record being nearly un-attainable.....

I think that the state border rule would be in affect , very similar to the state lines which run through saltwater river mouths and such....Who knows, too lazy to look it up...Just my buck thirty six
Old 12-17-2014, 09:00 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Ok boys here is the story:
The fish was caught on my boat,the KMB. Myself and 2 buddies launched out of Difeos, and went to the NJ side of the lake to pick up Leon, the guy who caught the fish. He has a NJ license, and lives in NJ. ,saves us a little on parking. We were fishing for walleye , and one of my buddies got his line caught in the trolling motor. I was working on getting the line out of the prop when Leon says "I got one". Not paying attention, My other buddies are telling him he has a catfish, he snagged a fish, etc. Now he circles the boat, and I am paying attention! All I had on board was a little net, so I ask if anybody has a boga, Leon has one. The gripper wouldn't fit around the fish's jaw, so I reached in and gave it a death grip! Leon fits the boga over the fish's jawbone, and in the boat he goes. We are all speechless!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:15 PM
NJFishing.com Member

pt2
The fish threw up a little from both ends, so I put him in the live well and filled it with water. I tell Leon to go online and look up the NJ record. 42lbs 13oz. I took out my chatillion scale, and we weighed the fish, 45lbs!! He HAD the record! Now to get an official weight. We called 3 bait stores in the area, and nobody even had a scale! We dropped Leon back off to see what he could find and we headed back to the launch. We asked at Difeos, no info on a scale or where to find one. We called police stations, googled meat markets, nobody had a certified scale, and both NY and NJ dec offices were closed. We went to a tackle shop near the lake and they had a digital scale for sale....We explained that we may have a record fish and the store would get credit for the weigh in, and the owner put batteries in it and weighed the fish, 7 hours later. The fish weighed 41.66lbs, but still weighed 44 lbs on my scale. We wrapped the fish in soaked towels, put it in a couple hefty bags, and the next morning Leon weighed the fish in at Hackettstown Dec at 40.76lbs, not a record. We release 90% of everything we catch, but this fish will be on Leon's wall, and should be the new record. Still a day we will never forget
Old 12-17-2014, 09:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Congrats on the fish of a lifetime dude. Must've been insane to witness and participate in all of that.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstream View Post
Ok boys here is the story:
The fish was caught on my boat,the KMB. Myself and 2 buddies launched out of Difeos, and went to the NJ side of the lake to pick up Leon, the guy who caught the fish. He has a NJ license, and lives in NJ. ,saves us a little on parking. We were fishing for walleye , and one of my buddies got his line caught in the trolling motor. I was working on getting the line out of the prop when Leon says "I got one". Not paying attention, My other buddies are telling him he has a catfish, he snagged a fish, etc. Now he circles the boat, and I am paying attention! All I had on board was a little net, so I ask if anybody has a boga, Leon has one. The gripper wouldn't fit around the fish's jaw, so I reached in and gave it a death grip! Leon fits the boga over the fish's jawbone, and in the boat he goes. We are all speechless!
Epic fish. Did you remember what pound test line that was that caught it? 6 pound test (as said earlier) is hard to believe even with a wire leader. was it really 6 pound? 60 pound braid is more believable haha!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That's cool...To get the story straight from the source. Congrats on the the beast dude. Nicely Done.