NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Northern Snakehead!! - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Northern Snakehead!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl
The snakeheads in Fl (a slightly different species) does coexist with other species and absolutely does not kill everything it sees. Most of the popular info is just hype and has little basis in fact. I caught many snakeheads side by side with largemouth bass, peacock bass, panfish many times...often in small ponds. In fact, Florida fish and wildlife did a study of stomach contents and found no largemouth bass. Snakeheads share the same ecological niche as bowfin, and likely act in a similar manner. While invasive species are always a concern, much of the talk surrounding snakeheads seems to be overblown hype. They can be very skittish and tough to approach.

Btw they are an awesome gamefish...especially on topwater and fight much harder than largemouth.
But How do they taste???? Ever eat them?

www.captainronsfishermen.com
Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1captainron
According to Wikipedia they taste very good. That's how they became an invasive species. Some escaped from their pens or were washed into rivers and lakes. They are originally from Asia and Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakehead_(fish)

Last edited by Wilson; 11-28-2012 at 10:57 AM..
Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

They seem like an awesome game fish, I'll have to try to target them someday. I like big toothy critters like pike and musky so they are right up my alley. Maybe I'll try to get one through the ice.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:46 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1captainron
No, I never ate them...just released them. I wouldn't trust anything coming out of the polluted South Florida canals/ponds as particularly safe to eat lol. However, I do know some braver souls that did eat them and said they were very good eating.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I remember on an epsiode of "River Monsters" they had a tournament in one of the Florida waterways for Snakeheads and it was strictly Catch & Keep.

When it was over they dd a fish-fry with all the one's caught and the overwhelming theme was that they were great eating.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29
We have to set up a NJF Snakehead Slaughter MEET N GREET! With all the anglers on this site we'll be able to destroy these BASTARD FISH easily!! LETS GO!!!

I'm down. They put up a great fight.