NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Closed waters - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-30-2019, 11:21 AM
dakota560

Default Closed waters

Posting this just because I think it might be helpful. Stopped by Lake Musconetcong during the week on my way to Lake Hopatcong. Musconetcong is closed to fishing until the opener. In the parking lot next to the dam near Bait and Boat, there were two guys with 4 rods fishing from shore. On the opposite side of the lake there were five people fishing from shore. Even worse, in the boat launch parking lot, there were five trailers already launched, one fishing the dam, one I could see fishing the island and three fishing some where else on the lake out of sight from where I was. Also saw two kayaks getting ready to launch.

In total, there must have been 20 people fishing closed waters. I mentioned to each of them the waters are closed and you can imagine the looks and responses that solicited. So I called 1-800-WARN DEP, spoke to a gentlemen who in turn communicated it to a CO who called me maybe 20 minutes later. Said he would swing by but the boats in the lake would be an issue since their boat wasn't accessible right then. The first guy I spoke to did however ask for the plates of the cars with the empty trailers in the parking lot so maybe they followed up through other means.

Couple points, I found only one tree posted with last years regulations, that's not helping. Maybe if F&G reads this post there's a better way to get the public involved posting these waters. But that aside, there's no way in my opinion five guys fishing bass boats and two guys fishing kayaks don't know the regulations and deserve to be fined. The one boat fishing near the dam when I told them the waters were closed did haul out. I walked one of the two guys fishing the parking lot area over to Bait and Boat to confirm with the owner it was indeed closed which she confirmed and offered up that she tells everyone who comes in it is but they fish it anyway. Those two guys packed up and left as well.

Anyone fishing it when it's closed and taking trout away from kids or anyone else fishing legally and waiting until 4/6 deserve to be fined. Places have to be posted as much of a challenge as that might be but that's my point for getting the public involved. Maybe send flyers to local bait shops or volunteers to help in that cause. If posted and someone fishes anyway, fine them $500 and guarantee they'll think twice before doing it again. I found it particularly brazen to see the five bass boats launched and two kayaks, there's no excuse there, they have to know or at least should know the regulations.

I'm not one to call DEP on people, but when they're told the waters are closed and they essentially flip you the bird DEP is going to get a call. I'm also not necessarily a fan of the pre-stocking closure but understand the need. Either way it is the law and should be equally applied and followed by everyone.

Last edited by dakota560; 03-30-2019 at 12:03 PM..
Old 03-30-2019, 01:03 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Closed waters

I agree with you. Give them a big fine and make it hurt. We the sportsman are responsible for knowing the rules and regulations whether it is posted on a tree or not. These days it is easy to do a quick Google search to find out everything and anything you need to know
Old 03-30-2019, 01:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Closed waters

RAHWAY RIVER: a man wrote " they would be overwhelmed I have talked to two dozen poachers with “what the hell” most feign ignorance and leave some say I don’t care what the regs say mind your business- found one stretch with 7 dead gut hooked trout sitting on the river bottom with smeared power bait and cigarette butts on the bank - some places they should not stock until right before the opener - our send out F&G and make a lot of fine money for the state"
Old 03-30-2019, 02:55 PM
dakota560

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
RAHWAY RIVER: a man wrote " they would be overwhelmed I have talked to two dozen poachers with “what the hell” most feign ignorance and leave some say I don’t care what the regs say mind your business- found one stretch with 7 dead gut hooked trout sitting on the river bottom with smeared power bait and cigarette butts on the bank - some places they should not stock until right before the opener - our send out F&G and make a lot of fine money for the state"
Andy I couldn't agree more. Lot of other fish get harvested as well which others don't have a shot at. Cut up the state into regions, bring on some additional personnel for those weeks, and make the fine $500 per offense. It would pay for itself, change behavior and add additional funding to fisheries enforcement. Still think NJF&G can utilize their relationship with the public to get volunteers involved posting notices in advance of the closure. I'd do it in a heart beat. Saying that, maybe they were posted and someone took them down but the fact last years was still there makes me think they were never posted which doesn't help even if it is our responsibility to know the regulations. Just another insurance policy that make sure people comply. Still couldn't believe bass boats had the cajones to launch at such a popular spot in an area completely out in the open.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good job Dakota.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Im certain no matter what is done, there will be fishing within the closures. I just hope f&w take full advantage of this fact and get loadsamoney for tickets. That way more money goes into raising trout (for the fall season )
Old 03-30-2019, 11:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Closed waters

Found this : I've called several times because there's guys every year that stretches a net at the Big Falls in Winfield straight across the bottom of the waterfall. They keep everything and throw it in a garbage can. Turtles bass trout whatever they take it all.. call Winfield cops windshield cops say it's a county problem call the county the county says it's Cranford's problem call Cranford and they say call Fish and Game. Left several messages on the fishing game answering machine never got a call back
Old 03-31-2019, 12:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

So I know spruce run creek is closed for stocking, but what about the reservoir itself? Was thinking of wetting a line there for a bit later today.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
So I know spruce run creek is closed for stocking, but what about the reservoir itself? Was thinking of wetting a line there for a bit later today.
Dont count on me but it should be opened, the reservoir isnt stocked just the creek. I bet the boundary is the bridge.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Aren't certain lakes still open for fishing, just not for keeping trout? Figured a lake like Muskenetcong would fall under those regs no?