NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Paulins Kill float? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-24-2019, 10:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Paulins Kill float?

I am considering floating this river from the spillway of paulina lake to the last access point.

I have a few questions on access as im not local to the area and have only visited the late Columbia lake once last fall for the cleanup.

From satellite it looks like there is good access for a canoe at the spillway under Paulina lake. Like at the end of the E crisman bridge. Im looking for confirmation on this as theres no street view here.

The float from here down to Columbia lake dam seems uninterpreted.

I plan on ending the float at brugler rd bridge or warrington rd bridge. Which ever is easier to park + take a canoe out of.
Looking for advise which of these two are better.

We also have the option to float into the Delaware but this will involve portaging over the dam, which last time i checked isnt completely gone and looks impossible to paddle through.
Not sure where to take out if we do take this route.

I appreciate any advise and info on these Access points and float details. Feel free to PM or respond to this thread.
Thanks.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Paulins Kill float?

I've never tried floating this stretch, however my NJ canoeing bible "Garden State Canoeing" by Edward Gertler says the following:

This section is most often canoeable in late fall, winter and spring, however it can stay up for 3-4 days after a hard rain and 7-10 if the weather has been wet.

It also says that for the stream to be navigable, the gauge at Rt 46 in Columbia should least 1.3 ft, the gauge in Blairstown should read 2.2 feet minimum and the gauge at Flatbrookville should be at least 2.5 feet. Also check out this site for potential put ins and take outs https://paddling.com/paddle/locations/

Good luck and let us know how it worked out

Last edited by briansnat; 06-28-2019 at 10:29 PM..
Old 06-28-2019, 10:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I've fished the Blairstown area over many years. There were several times when I had to move out of the way as paddlers in canoes were heading toward where I was wading. Since the river real estate is always changing, be prepared to deal with low-hanging branches and blow downs, some of which might force you to portage around them. There's lots of good fishing but you will likely have to slow down to take advantage of the runs and deep stretches. Once the river winds away from Rt. 94, you won't see a car for awhile.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:55 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

There’s plenty of room to park at the Paulina Lake dam and the water is easily accessible to put your canoe in. There’s enough room to park a few cars by the Brugler Rd. bridge and I’m pretty sure you have to end your float there because Fish and Game has closed the river access to the public from The Brugler bridge to the Delaware River. I would double check that just to be sure but if I’m wrong then I would continue your trip all the way to the Rt46 bridge that’s about 100 yards before you hit the Delaware River and you can get out of the water before it gets to fast to safely get out! I’ve lived in the area my whole life and know the river’s well feel free to PM me if you need any more info
Old 06-29-2019, 07:26 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBird11 View Post
There’s plenty of room to park at the Paulina Lake dam and the water is easily accessible to put your canoe in. There’s enough room to park a few cars by the Brugler Rd. bridge and I’m pretty sure you have to end your float there because Fish and Game has closed the river access to the public from The Brugler bridge to the Delaware River. I would double check that just to be sure but if I’m wrong then I would continue your trip all the way to the Rt46 bridge that’s about 100 yards before you hit the Delaware River and you can get out of the water before it gets to fast to safely get out! I’ve lived in the area my whole life and know the river’s well feel free to PM me if you need any more info
Thank you plenty. I think ill stick with the two spots in mind as thats plenty of river to explore. Nice to know the spots will work.
I would PM you questions about the fish in there but that's a secret i want to find out myself.
I will surely get back to you on a report

Also thank you Bill and brian.

Brian, thanks for the graph confirmation, i saw it was running low currently. I looked over a two year span of graph data and saw 1.5 is like the lowest it drops. and i was aiming at 2.3 myself. As we all know rain shouldn't be rare for long given how this year was so far.
I found not having to walk through every riffle a plus
Old 06-29-2019, 12:57 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

There is another small waterfall just as you’re coming into Blairstown it’s where the USGS monitors the river level. It’s been a couple years since I’ve fished that section and if my memory serves me well there’s not much left to the structure so I don’t think it will be to much of a hinderance. Have fun and don’t forget to report back
Old 06-30-2019, 10:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Types of fish.......? Expect the resident smallmouth bass anywhere from pint sized to real rod benders. Cast spinners of sizes to match your quarry. Smaller lures in the size #1 category or 1/8 - 1/4 oz. will bring surprising results.......rock bass, crappie, perch, trout, bluegills, sunnies or even a pickerel. Brand or style of spinners is up to you. Small plugs will work fine too. Minnow styles work well on the trout. Mid sized crank baits ( keep them small) in crawfish patterns can be deadly. Enjoy your adventure. Be sure to get out of your canoe in places that look fishy and make some casts so you don't blow right past a good spot. Tight lines!
Old 07-03-2019, 07:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Re: Paulins Kill float?

Give us the report !
Old 07-03-2019, 08:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Give us the report !
Nick's working on it, he's a busy ok Basically some tough paddling and a few portages through complete log jams in river, for lots of smallmouth, scattered rainbows, and some wild catches like a walleye, and a palimino that popped off. Thanks to all the info shared. I will have to say that the stretch we did was too long due to the fact that portaging over stuff and taking your time in the frequent holes and runs will add a lot of time. Small-Kayak friendly, not so much for a canoe id say.