NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!


Message Board


Smoker - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey


Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-08-2014, 04:46 PM
PaBeerGuy's Avatar
PaBeerGuy PaBeerGuy is offline
NJFishing.com Old Salt
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Chester, Pa
Posts: 1,094
Question Smoker

I'm thinking about getting into the art of smoking meats. The units run the gamut from $50 on up to a couple thousand. Don't want to get carried away, just looking for a reliable unit that will produce decent quality smoked meats and fish. Where's a good place to start?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-08-2014, 05:24 PM
PAFireGuy PAFireGuy is offline
NJFishing.com Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 70
Default Re: Smoker

I have an un-insulated electric Brinkman smoker. This is the model most department stores are selling. It does not get hot enough to fully cure the meat. I have to finish most everything in the oven. It seems to work ok in the summer to smoke small trout. I would not recommend this smoker.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-09-2014, 08:28 AM
tropics's Avatar
tropics tropics is offline
NJFishing.com Old Salt
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Attleboro,Ma
Posts: 3,028
Default Re: Smoker

PM sent
__________________
Richie Dynes
I only fish on days that end in Y

I marched 3/21/2012
No Facebook No Twitter No Text
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-09-2014, 09:09 AM
deyankeeclipper deyankeeclipper is offline
NJFishing.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 22
Default Re: Smoker

So...... This would be considered overkill? ...LOL
1000 gallon propane tank.
15 foot boat trailer
Does 17 Turkeys at a time
100% Wood Fired....
Holds 275 degrees in 30 mile per hour winds and 17 degrees outside....
Yes will be loaded up making Christmas Dinner for many families in a couple weeks.....
Oh yeah and food for our Tog trip on Fish Stix the 27 of Dec!

I tow this every where...
Home built and works awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	79033  
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-09-2014, 09:12 AM
deyankeeclipper deyankeeclipper is offline
NJFishing.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 22
Default Re: Smoker

Another pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	79034  
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-09-2014, 09:13 AM
deyankeeclipper deyankeeclipper is offline
NJFishing.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 22
Default Re: Smoker

One last pic... I could not get it to load all three together?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	79035  
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-10-2014, 01:17 PM
AquaDawg AquaDawg is offline
NJFishing.com Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bloomfield NJ
Posts: 76
Default Re: Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaBeerGuy View Post
I'm thinking about getting into the art of smoking meats. The units run the gamut from $50 on up to a couple thousand. Don't want to get carried away, just looking for a reliable unit that will produce decent quality smoked meats and fish. Where's a good place to start?
I have 2 smokers, one of which I made based on the 18.5 Weber Bullet Smoker and 14 " I made. Have had both for about 3-4 years now. You cay but the Weber 18.5" Bullet for about $349. Thats what I paid. I built the smaller 14.5" smoker using a Weber smokey joe charcoal grill parts, a 14" soup pot from walgreens and miscellaneous items (thermometer from Ebay , nuts and bolts#. The total cost to build the 14" was $98. Either one will easily fit a small turkey #cooks in just 2.5 hours also). I like the smaller smoker to take to work, the shop or a weekend getaway.

Last year, Weber starting selling a 14" version and I belive it goes for $199. You can check home depot or online. You can make your own or buy one. They also make a 22" version but I odnt think it cooks as well as the 18" smoker. Unless you want to spend thousands on a smoker like a TRAEGER, which are very popular in the mid-west and west coast, the Weber bullet is the best choice. As far as I know it is the best smoker you can get for under $350

Attached is a photo of my 18.5 " and and 14".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0759.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	79051  
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-10-2014, 01:33 PM
bigfishy's Avatar
bigfishy bigfishy is offline
NJFishing.com Ambassador
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Branchburg
Posts: 854
Default Re: Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyankeeclipper View Post
So...... This would be considered overkill? ...LOL
1000 gallon propane tank.
15 foot boat trailer
Does 17 Turkeys at a time
100% Wood Fired....
Holds 275 degrees in 30 mile per hour winds and 17 degrees outside....
Yes will be loaded up making Christmas Dinner for many families in a couple weeks.....
Oh yeah and food for our Tog trip on Fish Stix the 27 of Dec!

I tow this every where...
Home built and works awesome!
That looks AWESOME!!!!
Looks like it could double as a submarine
__________________
I FISH therefore I AM
river slobs r' us
Merill Creek MASTERS dEG.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-10-2014, 02:28 PM
Almaink's Avatar
Almaink Almaink is offline
NJFishing.com Ambassador
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ewing, NJ
Posts: 262
Default Re: Smoker

I also have an electric Brinkman smoker that I love. It gets plenty hot enough, in fact sometimes to hot. If you use an extension cord make sure it's a good one at lest 14/3, 12/3 is better. When I first got the smoker I used a regular 100' orange cord and I couldn't get the heat above 150. If you get one I recommend you also get a good digital thermometer. Knowing the internal temperatures is very important and having to open the smoker all the time to check wastes smoke and heat.

Last edited by Almaink; 12-10-2014 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-10-2014, 02:32 PM
tropics's Avatar
tropics tropics is offline
NJFishing.com Old Salt
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Attleboro,Ma
Posts: 3,028
Thumbs up Re: Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaink View Post
I also have an electric Brinkman smoker that I love. It gets plenty hot enough, in fact sometimes to hot. If you use an extension cord make sure it's a good one at lest 14/3, 12/3 is better. When I first got the smoker I used a regular 100' orange cord and I couldn't get the heat above 150. If you get one I recommend you also get a good digital thermometer. Knowing the internal temperatures is very important and having to open the smoker all the time to check wastes smoke and heat.
X2 on that but I like using 2 one for the meat the other for the smoker. I have a electric, it can be used as a cold smoker also.
__________________
Richie Dynes
I only fish on days that end in Y

I marched 3/21/2012
No Facebook No Twitter No Text
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.