NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Salmon country with the boys...10/25-10/27 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-28-2018, 05:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Salmon country with the boys...10/25-10/27

Met the boys up in Salmon country early Thursday morning. Myself and Mikey traveled up together and were soon joined by Rocco, Mike Sr., Jake, John D and Joey. First stop was the Brown Trout grounds. We spotted some fish in the low clear water but not the numbers that we expected. The fish weren't moving at all! Spotted 1 Brown that was 30 plus and over 10 lbs. She didn't want our offerings, none of the Browns did. I did manage to hook and land my first King of the year in the creek. Probably a 20lb fish that I landed with my ultra lite Walleye rod, LOL!

Next stop another tributary, nothing going on, nothing moving. Off to the Salmon river in Pulaski. Huge lack of anglers and fish so we scouted the entire river so we could find our spot for day 2. Fished down low and it was still pretty slow. The full moon could've had something to do with it but who knows. We got a couple nice fish and there were a couple firsts on this trip. Young Jake who has never been to Salmon country or fly fished hooked and landed his first King Salmon on day 1, AWESOME! On day 2 he proceeded to land the 1st Steelhead of his life! Amazing as Jake isn't much of a fishermen at all. HAHAHAHA!!! Great job Jake! We're all very happy for you!

There was another first on day 2. We're all fishing hard down low and a few fish are being hooked but coming unbuttoned. I noticed I was surrounded by fly guys. Rocco was taking a little break at this time. I looked at his fly rod and asked if I could use it. He said yes of course. I'm all rigged up and ready to give it shot. Learned to cast simply by watching other anglers. So I'm into my 3rd cast and BAM! FISH ON!!! Nice Steelie rips up and down the river. I finally chased her down and landed my first ever Steelie on a fly rod. I was pretty stoked and the guys were really happy for me! That fish on that light fly rod was a blast! Just WOW! Thanks for the rod rental Rocco, you da man!!!

Moving on to day 3. Absoluteley nothing happening on the SR. Everyone left due to the incoming weather that would ruin the fishing for rest of the weekend. Myself and Mikey took the ride north and found the mother load of King Salmon thankfully. All it took was a little bit of walking and we were into the fish. Mikey landed an absolute beast weighing 25 lbs. or so. Damn Salmon had teeth bigger than a Pitbull, no joke! What a fish!! The action and amount of fish in this hole was BANANAS!!! Quite a few fish landed with plenty of snapped lines and unfortunately a snapped fly rod. We put are time in and made something happen when the fishing was subpar. It's what we do, we make it happen no matter what distances we have to travel or hike. Something will be caught!!!

All in all the fishing is off when it comes to Chrome on the SR. Its not what it used to be. I heard the fishing was really good a few days before we arrived. Those fish are more than likely dead now. It happens! We'll keep heading up as It's not always about the catching, It's about getting a great group of anglers, friends together to enjoy the outdoors! Gotta love fishing memories made with great friends! I'm gona keep heading up every year as long as possible! This year marks my 20th year of Salmon/Steelie fishing in beautiful NY state! See you fellas at the next one! TIGHT LINEZ!!!!

Last edited by FASTEDDIE29; 10-28-2018 at 05:19 PM..
Old 10-28-2018, 05:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Salmon country with the boys...10/25-10/27

NJF Boyz gettin' it done !!!
Old 10-28-2018, 05:53 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Salmon country with the boys...10/25-10/27

Great trip with the Boyz as always sucks the fishing wasn't the greatest and weather turned to crap... But we made the best of it and caught see fish when little to no one was catching at all. As far as first for this trip I'm glad I was there to see them. Way to go Jake n Eddie. Who in the world would ever thought fasty woulda grabbed a fly rod????!!! NOT ME!!!!! Third cast fish on.... I literally almost pissed my pants I was laughing so hard������
Here's some pics of our beautiful cabin wayyy off the grid,
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423

Last edited by Mikey topaz; 10-28-2018 at 05:56 PM..
Old 10-28-2018, 06:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice pics dudes!

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 10-28-2018, 07:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Congrats on your fly rod steelhead. Looks like a productive trip.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I knew you guys would hunt em down! Nice work fellas! Nice goin on the fly rod Eddie!

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 10-29-2018, 12:01 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Glad to see they FINALLY got some water in that northern trib! Just checked the gauge for the next trib north from that one and it's on the rise. Should put fresh runs of fish into both streams along with a few of the smaller tribs in the area!
Kudos on your first ever flyrod steely!
Old 10-29-2018, 12:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Eddie ur a natural fly angler! Even got the rod-in-mouth camera pose down.

I'm glad y'all had a great, safe, trip. Some grand slamming fish!!! Wooooweee
Old 10-29-2018, 06:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Gotta love productive out of state trips. Way to make things happen. Great memories I'm sure. Congrats fellas.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:22 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Great work getting into some fish in tough conditions! Congratulations on your first fly rod steelhead, Eddie! Beautiful fish. And some tank salmon as well.