NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Hardcastle Pond New Milford NJ Report 6/8/19 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-09-2019, 08:00 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Hardcastle Pond New Milford NJ Report 6/8/19

First time checking this place out, it's behind the shoprite in New Milford. Brought my Abu Garcia Medium Heavy 7 foot combo and some soft plastics I had in the car. Texas rigged a Green Pumpkin Lizard and worked my way around the pond, a lot of small bass action and bedding fish, only saw one carp and a lot of panfish, I eventually switched out my texas rig for some topwater action on the whopper plopper and I felt bad because so many small largies kept going up to it but couldn't blow up on it, got dark so I hit the road home.

Anyone got tips for this little pond? There's a lot of veggie cover and I saw some nice size bass cruising through but wouldn't bite anything, only agressive smaller ones that were the size of a finger. Hope to go back there with some results during the later half of the week.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Hardcastle Pond New Milford NJ Report 6/8/19

when it is tough sledding try downsizing or change to a finesse presentation..small senko, drop shot, ned rig, etc
Old 06-10-2019, 08:49 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'll throw a plastic worm or a frog on that pond from time to time. It's a fun little bass hole. The bigger fish have been caught a million times so getting them to bite can be tricky.

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216
Old 06-10-2019, 09:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Bigger bass may be more inclined to bite super early in the morning at first light.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

See those nice size bass???.. Pitch a REAL nightcrawler in front of them on an unweighted hook with the barb mashed down and watch what happens.. Hooked once through the nose so it wiggles.
No bass I have ever seen in my life hasn't nailed a live worm, even when they are staring right at you, and refusing to hit anything else.. Either that or a big live shiner..
its sacrilege to say it these days, but LMB will always hit live bait when they bypass lures... However, PLEASE mash the barb down and let them go after you catch them ... Very easy to clean a small lake of its good size fish with live bait...bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 06-10-2019 at 01:45 PM..
Old 06-10-2019, 03:35 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
See those nice size bass???.. Pitch a REAL nightcrawler in front of them on an unweighted hook with the barb mashed down and watch what happens.. Hooked once through the nose so it wiggles.
No bass I have ever seen in my life hasn't nailed a live worm, even when they are staring right at you, and refusing to hit anything else.. Either that or a big live shiner..
its sacrilege to say it these days, but LMB will always hit live bait when they bypass lures... However, PLEASE mash the barb down and let them go after you catch them ... Very easy to clean a small lake of its good size fish with live bait...bob
There's definitely a few 3 - 6 lbers in there. Saw two nice ones over a bed but got spooked as I got near the bank. Bass will eat anything, down south they're known to eat baby gators and snakes in swamps.
It's nice to have a solid spot in bergen county considering most small ponds are filled with too much river dwellers like Carp. (Coopers pond in Bergenfield is a prime example)
Old 06-10-2019, 04:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
when it is tough sledding try downsizing or change to a finesse presentation..small senko, drop shot, ned rig, etc
I second this! No other bait has produced as many fish for me as the Ned Rig has over the last few years.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I use a whole nightcrawler on a short hook and that gets them...put them all back to get bigger...nice local pond close to home too..no traffic backups getting there either...see ya all later, RAMMIE
Old 07-17-2020, 02:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

GOTUMMM!!! large Bluegills(1lb) as mentioned, full worms down deep and moving..Problem is, you have to deal with turtles!! If you float them, they will find them...they are still small but a pain..nice day out locally NO TRAFFIC!! see ya all later RAMMIE