NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Couple of Questions..... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 11-02-2014, 10:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Couple of Questions.....

I recently must have got a bad batch of gas? I run my boat just about every weekend so the fuel never really sits more than a week or two the most. I had running probs indicating no or lean full so pulled the carb when got home and bowl was full of what appeared to be sand? Gave it to my buddy Phil who owns a carb shop in south plainfield and he went thru it and cleaned it for me main jet was 75% clogged and had to pull plugs out of it and put back in ultra sonic cleaner a second time to clear the rest of the restrictions. Flow tested good ready to roll! I changed the fuel line since it was fairly old but not really in bad since i cut it open and inspected it. Still not to the end of the mystery I pour the gas thru a body shop paint strainer and find a bunch of this sandy looking debris in the tank so now I know what happened.
How do I go about cleaning out my gas tank? It's a six gallon plastic tank wasn't sure about what use.

How would you do it?

Also different motor completely, What do you recommend to use or do to clean the inside of a outboard. the foam insulation has deteriorated and is all over the motor was thinking maybe spray with simple green or some other kind of degreaser and then gently rinse with hose and then blow off with compressed air?

Thanks for any advice ...........

16 Ft Princecraft DLX
9.9 Johnson
HELIX 7 Si GPS
Old 11-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Couple of Questions.....

Easiest thing to do would be to intall an inline gas filter between your tank and the engine and run the gas you have left in the tank and let the filter do the job. You should be able to get one in any automotive store.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 11-03-2014, 09:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Unless you are sure the tank is not being eaten from the inside out from the ethanol and UV I would replace it... And the foam... Be very careful of harsh chemicals on your wiring , you should be able to use compressed air alone, with some wd40 in tough areas, and I would probably get all the old foam off the cowling so you don't have to repeat this process again, you just want to make sure that you still have drainage in the lower cowl so you don't get any water sitting in the bottom of my motor issues ... Been there... The big Orange or Blue stores have the orange fire block foam that you can use to reapply a sound dampening effect... You will have to model it down unless you can tell the way it will expand... I personally wouldn't go through that trouble unless I had an older 557hp - and that ain't happening! Good luck: keep us updated.

6 gallons of gas... Dig a hole and get a metal pail... Burn it off or give it to a landscaper who will fill their old Bunton belt drive with anything that burns ...
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 11-04-2014, 12:09 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Motor is all back together, I am going to install a in line filter on friday night so hopefully I get to run it over the weekend. I filled a 3 gallon can that I know is okay for the time being, and did a few other things like replace the roller cam for the carb mine was sticking and had some nice grooves cut into it. Also a basic lube with a needle point grease fitting so I could grease every fitting. Threw a new set of plugs in it which I gapped a little wider to hopefully increase the spark and I think I'm ready for a ride!

As far as the cover on the other motor (Both are older evinrude 9.9's) I scraped it out and wiped it down with lacquer thinner and then after it dried off I gave it a coat of spray paint just to seal it. Not worried about the noise may eventually try the foam but not a big deal. I wiped it down and cleaned the drain holes so that should be good. Now gotta pull off lower unit to replace waterpump. This has me a little worried because when I removed the thermostat it was pretty crusty so hopefully no broken or frozen bolts for that repair which I plan on attacking possibly next week. She needs a carb O/H along with new fuel lines and a fuel pump repair kit. Also needs a thermostat new plugs and a new cam roller too so little at a time and depending on how the wp comes out I will hopefully have ready for spring.

16 Ft Princecraft DLX
9.9 Johnson
HELIX 7 Si GPS