NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Striped Bass Regulations??? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Striped Bass Regulations???

Tighter statewide regulations for striped bass fishing will soon be approved by the New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council.

The new standards will change the slot limit to one fish between 28 and 38 inches long per trip for anglers.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:09 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Striped Bass Regulations???

They should have made the slot 24-34 inches to give guys a better shot at a keeper. I like that bonus tags are starting in May, but i feel like lowering the keeper size to 24 and capping it at 34 would make alot more fishermen happy and let the best breeders live. It would also make it so more males are kept versus females, but hey what do we know right? I do think that they are moving in the right direction with a slot limit, but if they lowered that keeper length a few inches you would be keeping a lot more males than breeder females. Just my 2 cents which may not even be worth that.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:17 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

"Just my 2 cents which may not even be worth that."

Your thoughts and opinion is worth a lot more than 2 cents when used properly! Posting here isn't going to go to far. Maybe take the time to print out what you wrote and mail it out to those that make the decisions if you don't have the time to get to the Public Meetings?

I FISH I VOTE I MARCHED (BOTH TIMES.)
Old 02-16-2020, 07:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelron View Post
"Just my 2 cents which may not even be worth that."

Your thoughts and opinion is worth a lot more than 2 cents when used properly! Posting here isn't going to go to far. Maybe take the time to print out what you wrote and mail it out to those that make the decisions if you don't have the time to get to the Public Meetings?
Correct! Bitching on here won't get you anything. Got to go to meeting and donate money.

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired
Old 02-17-2020, 02:53 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Any tougher limits getting imposed on the well-lobbied Omega extinction machines down in the Chesapeake, or are they just pounding it to us rod-and-reel types up here? I hope this plan works and isn't just reflective of politics and pleasing those who pay.

But for the time being I'm happy to release my first big cow if I finally get one. I understand the best eating fish are in the slot size anyway.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:02 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueDogger View Post
Any tougher limits getting imposed on the well-lobbied Omega extinction machines down in the Chesapeake, or are they just pounding it to us rod-and-reel types up here? I hope this plan works and isn't just reflective of politics and pleasing those who pay.

But for the time being I'm happy to release my first big cow if I finally get one. I understand the best eating fish are in the slot size anyway.
Looks like the law is finally catching up to Omega..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...1a4_story.html

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 02-17-2020, 05:03 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post

Thank you Gerry.

Really unbelievable what Omega has gotten away with. And the WaPo is giving out commendations because the government has taken it's first baby step in the right direction...ugh

Anyone on this board who is interested in what actually happened to the striper fishery should read that link. I fished the Chesapeake for a few years before coming home to NJ, and I can promise you that if ever you saw first hand what one Omega boat can do in good couple of hours, you wouldn't bat an eye at whatever two thousand fishing rods from Cape May to the Raritan could do in a long, beautiful weekend.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:41 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post

AFTER THE FACT!! Should have been done at the start. Next is getting the Bait Boats out of Raritan Bay like NY did.

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired