NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Solar Panels, Advice? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Solar Panels, Advice?

A friend of mine just got solar panels on his house and referred me to the company and sales rep. Solar City is offering to install, maintain, and warranty the system for a 20 year lease period for NO COST to me. They stated that instead of paying PSEG .17-.19 cents currently per kilowatt, I would pay Solar City, .12 cents per kilowatt, with a fixed rate of increase at no more then 3%, vs PSEG's 5-6% rate of increase. Another big advantage is that during the summer, the panels reflect the heat, reducing the cooling needed to cool the house by 1/3. Also in the winter time, the panels act as a blanket and keep the warmth in.

I have a few concerns with not knowing much about the growing company, Solar City, or what negative aspects the solar panels will have on my house, specifically the roof.

Can anyone share any knowledge about Solar Panels, or this company?

Would you do it on your house to save 1/3 on your electric bill?
Old 11-05-2015, 05:32 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Smile Re: Solar Panels, Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1129 View Post
A friend of mine just got solar panels on his house and referred me to the company and sales rep. Solar City is offering to install, maintain, and warranty the system for a 20 year lease period for NO COST to me. They stated that instead of paying PSEG .17-.19 cents currently per kilowatt, I would pay Solar City, .12 cents per kilowatt, with a fixed rate of increase at no more then 3%, vs PSEG's 5-6% rate of increase. Another big advantage is that during the summer, the panels reflect the heat, reducing the cooling needed to cool the house by 1/3. Also in the winter time, the panels act as a blanket and keep the warmth in.

I have a few concerns with not knowing much about the growing company, Solar City, or what negative aspects the solar panels will have on my house, specifically the roof.

Can anyone share any knowledge about Solar Panels, or this company?

Would you do it on your house to save 1/3 on your electric bill?
Hi Chris-
Please PM me for more info, I would prefer not to chat this in a forum.
BUT.... Better to hire a local company with a great reputation that will stand behind you.
Paul
paul@seabrightsolar.com
Old 11-06-2015, 12:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Solar Panels, Advice?

Hey Chris,

I moved into a house with panels already installed, and improperly wired, and with damage done by squirrels that had made a home underneath them.
I had the guys from Sea Bright Solar come and take them off, redo the wiring and install wire guards around them. They worked quickly and it was well worth the price of the fix.

So we didn't have the cost to consider but with 18 panels on the upper roof our electric bill during the hottest months was tiny($10-45) after they got working correctly.
..last year when they weren't functioning our bill was over $300. I do know the upfront cost hurts though. We had looked into adding more but are holding off as we don't need them.

is this the same company that you ask about Chris?
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SCTY

RESEARCH NOT POLICY OR REGULATIONS!!!

Last edited by shresearchdude; 11-06-2015 at 12:58 PM..
Old 11-06-2015, 12:59 PM
NJFishing.com Member

wow that's a lot of savings. Thanks for the info
Old 11-06-2015, 01:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I had a company come by to look and give me an estimate.
Basically all installed for free and I would save $20-40 per month. Honestly to mabey save $40 I opted to not do it.
I know its money saved bit I look it as I am rent in my roof for only $40 a month and I have to look at all that crap plus have toworry about squirrels, roof leaks, ect. I didnt think ot was worth it.
Save me $100+ mabey but not for small $
Old 11-06-2015, 03:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresearchdude View Post
is this the same company that you ask about Chris?
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SCTY
Yes I believe so.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have a 10.5 KW installation on my house from Solarcity. It went live in Dec 2012. Since then, I've generated 35 mWh (yes, mega watt hours), which is about 60% of the electricity my household consumes. Solarcity was dead on with their generation forecast.

We've been very satisfied with both the installation and the service we received. I would definitely recommend them. Be aware there are definitely pros & cons with going with a company like Solarcity and you need to be fully aware up front. But my experience has been excellent and we've had no problems.

If you have any questions, PM me and we can talk.

"Marie's Dream" 1985 21' Trophy
Homeport: Allamuchy, NJ
Old 11-06-2015, 05:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Wisherman View Post
I have a 10.5 KW installation on my house from Solarcity. It went live in Dec 2012. Since then, I've generated 35 mWh (yes, mega watt hours), which is about 60% of the electricity my household consumes. Solarcity was dead on with their generation forecast.

We've been very satisfied with both the installation and the service we received. I would definitely recommend them. Be aware there are definitely pros & cons with going with a company like Solarcity and you need to be fully aware up front. But my experience has been excellent and we've had no problems.

If you have any questions, PM me and we can talk.
Thats good to hear!
Old 01-02-2016, 09:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hi Chris,

Shoot me a message to let me know if you proceeded?

RESEARCH NOT POLICY OR REGULATIONS!!!
Old 01-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Old Soft Salt

Not that I have any panels or know squat about them but....my wife is a claims manager for a major insurance company.
Make sure you have these panels and the cost of replacement insured properly ie: fire, tree damage etc.
They are not covered unless you let your insurance company know about them!