NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Small Creek, Small Win - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-30-2019, 09:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Small Creek, Small Win

I worked from home today AND got off early, so I left the house at 3:30 to hit a stretch of a creek I have never hit before. I didn't have much of a target or plan other than to catch some fish on my 4'6" Fenwick UL.

First cast at 4:10 was met with my first fish, a little creek chub. These guys have so much heart and fight decently well for their size (sometimes - other times its like reeling in a twig ). Good way to get the mojo back. Started walking downstream and hit a private property sign pretty quick, so i turned around and went upstream.

Kept walking/wading when necessary upstream and came across a deeper hole that held some trout, and I could tell there were some browns in the mix. I've been on a brown drought for longer than I' like to admit, so catching one of them would have been a treat. I had a few follows on spinners, close enough that I could tell they were browns, but unfortunately they were all very lazy follows so no dice. That's ok though, the water seemed cold enough that releasing them wouldn't be an issue but you never know.

Switched back and forth between a spinner and a trout magnet for most of the time, also threw a plug for a bit before breaking the lip off on a rock. Walked upstream hitting hole after hole, until I was pretty far from the car and sundown was fast approaching. I re-fished a few holes that I really liked on the way up, and caught a bunch more chubs. At least the action there was good, I probably caught 10-15 throughout the evening. Got to the car just before 8 and drove home.

SO excited for fall fishing. Heading out on a Bonito/Albie trip in a few days and even got a good friend to tag along, stoked for that. Hoping everyone has a happy labor day and enjoys the long weekend! Tight lines!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8869.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	136967  

Last edited by Hookmanski; 08-30-2019 at 09:12 PM..
Old 08-31-2019, 06:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Small Creek, Small Win

Nice chubz. I call em budget brook trout. Just as good but not as pretty. i know some creeks that support good chub fishing. Fallfish are absolutely mad fish and often i confuse them with smb when i hook em initially.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:49 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice man! Lots of action and a nice day. Cant beat it.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:01 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Creek chubs can be fun on a lighter setup. I'm sure you can find some brown trout in these creeks if you keep trying on the fall.

I know there are several streams in NJ that do have browns, but I like to cheat - just go up to NY State into the Delaware River tribs and they are everywhere.