NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Raritan Bay Pipeline - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-24-2019, 10:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Raritan Bay Pipeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lyons View Post
I didn’t know that but it is still far less efficient than a pipeline and not nearly as safe.
Agreed...Charlie
Old 04-25-2019, 09:13 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drossi View Post
The pipeline itself isn't so much of an issue as dredging up and disposing of the potentially toxic sediment will be. That said the gas supply capacity is needed. Everybody has an opinion until they flick the switch and the lights don't come on and the furnace doesn't fire up.
Here is an part of what I read about the project that I am opposed to:

The project, however, will stir up over 1 million tons of contaminated harmful muck through dredging that include PCBs, dioxin, lead, mercury and arsenic in Raritan Bay. The project will also release thousands of gallons of drilling fluid in the Raritan Bay.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:22 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoop View Post
Here is an part of what I read about the project that I am opposed to:

The project, however, will stir up over 1 million tons of contaminated harmful muck through dredging that include PCBs, dioxin, lead, mercury and arsenic in Raritan Bay. The project will also release thousands of gallons of drilling fluid in the Raritan Bay.
I don't know where you got your information from but if you want the actual environmental impact statement here it is. Actual fact not emotion...Charlie

https://www.ferc.gov/industries/gas/...EIS/part-1.pdf
Old 04-25-2019, 11:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
I don't know where you got your information from but if you want the actual environmental impact statement here it is. Actual fact not emotion...Charlie

This is extracted from the PDF file you kinked to:

Transco proposes to dispose of acceptable material at the USACE-managed Historic Area
Remediation Site (HARS), a 15.7 square nautical mile area in the Atlantic Ocean, approximately 7.7
nautical miles south of Rockaway, New York. The HARS previously received contaminated sediments
and other materials during 63 years of disposal activity, and the USACE is now capping the area with
dredged material that meets certain USACE and EPA chemical criteria and which would not cause
significant undesirable effects, including through bioaccumulation. In September 2017, Transco submitted
an application to the USACE for a permit under section 103 of the MPRSA to transport and dispose of
dredge material at the HARS and continues to consult with the USACE regarding potential use of the
HARS. For dredge material determined unsuitable for disposal at the HARS, Transco has secured
preliminary agreement to dispose of the material at licensed onshore facilities in Kearney and Jersey City,
New Jersey. Transco may side-cast dredge material derived from portions of anchorage area 28 and
between MPs 35.2 and 35.5 and re-use this material as backfill if approved by the NYSDEC; otherwise,
these dredge materials would also be disposed of at approved onshore or offshore sites.

So it sounds to me that contaminated material will be disposed of both in the water and on the land. In my opinion it is better not to dredge up this material.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post

Just read through "General Impacts and Mitigation" on page 4-91, there seem to be a lot of potential impact risks not only on aquatic life but also on migratory bird species (birds were mentioned earlier on). Why take the chances?

I bet people will be pissed about it when there aren't any fish in the area during construction.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Screenshot from the PDF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 11.58.08 AM.jpg (19.0 KB, 135 views)
Old 04-25-2019, 12:37 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

A project like this has to have environmental impact.you can’t drive your car without some environmental impact. It’s always a cost benefit analysis. Is it better to burn gas than oil or coal? How about the people for whom energy consumes such a big part of their income? Gas promises to be much cheaper. This is not a conclusion but an attempt to look at both sides.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoop View Post
So it sounds to me that contaminated material will be disposed of both in the water and on the land. In my opinion it is better not to dredge up this material.
what you pasted says contaminated material will be disposed of on land. clean ("acceptable") material will be used to cap a site where contaminated material used to be disposed. both the removal and land disposal of contaminated material and using clean material to cap an older site result in less total pollution in the bay going forward. sounds good to me.

they don't want to dredge up the length of the pipeline, they want to put a bunch of it in with directional drilling, way under the bottom without stirring it up. as with any project, there will be a few places where things will be disturbed during the construction but it's not cutting a channel across the whole bay through all the sediments.

pipelines are way safer than trains or ship transport. i like the idea of a pipeline much better than an alternative of say, CNG ships regularly transiting the bay.

everybody likes cheap fuel and energy independence. everybody also always has knee jerk reactions against infrastructure projects.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Executive summary--Major conclusions--ES14

The proposed route and construction methods for the Raritan Bay Loop were developed in
consultation with the USACE and other agencies to minimize crossing designated
anchorage areas, meet USACE marine traffic safety requirements, and reduce impacts on
water quality and aquatic wildlife. Sixty-four percent of the offshore loop would be
installed using a jet trencher, which would not require the removal and disposal of seafloor
sediment. Thirty-one percent of the offshore loop would be installed using a clamshell
excavator fitted with an environmental bucket, and an environmental clamshell would also
be used to excavate horizontal directional drill (HDD) entry and exit pits. The remainder
of the offshore loop would be installed via HDD, thereby avoiding direct seafloor impacts.
Project-related turbidity would be temporary, and most sedimentation would occur near to
the approximately 87.8-acre area of seafloor that would be directly affected by
construction. In addition, Transco consulted with the NMFS, NJDEP, and NYSDEC to
minimize construction conflicts with time of year restrictions for certain marine species to
the extent practicable. As a result, impacts on aquatic resources would be temporary and
minor to moderate.

And the final part of the major conclusion is.

As a result, impacts on aquatic resources would be temporary and
minor to moderate.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Smile Re: Raritan Bay Pipeline

If you are against natural gas pipelines then be sure to turn off the natural gas going into your home, every bit helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15326346_10158047574285314_8668310210455414791_n.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	132692