NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

kayak info - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-23-2018, 07:53 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: kayak info

I bought a use Ocean Kayak “ Drifter “ from a coworker a few years back for $500 and it was the best thing I did to improve my fishing. I can now fish spots in lakes and ponds that had little open shoreline areas.
. The yak came with a paddle,vest and a Dollie. I have since installed a fish finder and a anchor trolley.It is stable and fast with decent storeage . I did look at the new Hobie stand up yaks but fell over when I saw the price.I got lucky with mine as I think it suits me well. You are doing the right thing by doing your homework and saving $.Good luck my friend!
Old 05-23-2018, 12:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Don't ignore used kayaks. You will get a lot more bang for your buck. For one thing, when you buy the kayak new, usually PFDs, paddles, etc. are extra, so add that to the cost of a new yak. Used yaks usually come with that stuff and sometimes extras such as anchors, rod holders, fish finders, etc.

I know it's nice to be able to park a brand new boat in the garage, but after you have it out once, it's a used boat too.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:23 AM
NJFishing.com Member

I have a Vibe 130 that I picked up last year. (for reference, I've owned several Hobies, and I also have a Wilderness Systems Ride 13X).

For the price point, the vibe is tough to beat. It's very stable- I can stand and fly fish from it- it's quick, gets on plane easy, and is quite comfortable. If you want to do mods or add, it's nice having the starports and rails, they integrate a dedicated areas for a fishfinder that makes it super easy, and it's a very dry yak. I have a back that acts up every now and then, and I can fish all day in it without being uncomfortable. The only item included that is a waste it the paddle- it's a piece of junk, but pretty much every paddle included is, so that's expected.

I personally think they're all good- every brand has strengths and weaknesses- it all comes down to personal preference, and your personal height/weight.