NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Musky Fall Trout Fishing Tomorrow? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-10-2019, 11:26 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Musky Fall Trout Fishing Tomorrow?

how were flows? It appears everything is at a trickle. Ramapo is WAY down
Old 10-10-2019, 12:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lou View Post
The issue in spring is that water is higher in most cases , and fish are not spooked as easily . Temps generally lower in early spring but by mid to late April generally ideal .
The higher water flows of spring may provide more oxygen in the water and trout even in lower temps may react better .
Yesterday’s temps in the 2 streams I fished were good but water levels low, so stealthy approaches are necessary to get hits .
Also many fish I feel regardless of water temp etc just need to acclimate to the new surroundings and may be off feed for awhile . This I know to be true since months from now I always get bigger fish , thru winter months .
Good assessment. I've seen much of the same. By Thanksgiving time they will be more apt to be caught than now.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Father and I hit pequest today, both had off. Saw trout in one hole that would not take. Dad got sort of upset with how low it was and agreed the fresh-truch fish wouldnt take. We stopped at lamington and caught smallies although the action was pretty low compared to summer trips. Leaves werent too bad.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

IMO the water temp, air temp, and angling pressure will all determine if the fall stockies bite. With the low, clear water this fall, it’s not going to be a good, steady bite for awhile. Early morning will produce best. Not to hijack the thread, but I had some success on the upper nbr yesterday afternoon. 6 wild browns, 1 fall stockie rainbow and some small lmb and smb. For the most part, the fish you don’t see are the ones that will bite. I saw fresh rainbows swimming through 6” deep riffles. The water is very low.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthrax2244 View Post
IMO the water temp, air temp, and angling pressure will all determine if the fall stockies bite. With the low, clear water this fall, it’s not going to be a good, steady bite for awhile. Early morning will produce best. Not to hijack the thread, but I had some success on the upper nbr yesterday afternoon. 6 wild browns, 1 fall stockie rainbow and some small lmb and smb. For the most part, the fish you don’t see are the ones that will bite. I saw fresh rainbows swimming through 6” deep riffles. The water is very low.
Agree, and Nice with the wild browns, Ive caught holdover trout in the upper NB but never a wild one.