NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Chunking tuna setup advice - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:12 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Chunking tuna setup advice

Looking to get on a tuna chunking trip on a party boat this year. Most likely on the Voyager. First time tuna fishing. Looking to get a middle of the road setup without breaking the bank.
Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 08-15-2019, 04:32 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Chunking tuna setup advice

How big is the bank?

You can go with a 6/0 Penn Senator to a top of the line 2 speed lever drag.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:29 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

The minimum you are going to want is something in the 30 pound class and if I were you, I'd want a lever drag, not a star drag reel...

What's your budget?

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 08-15-2019, 08:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Highly recommend a Penn 16vsx 2 speed if you can get your hands on one. Smaller and more powerful than 30s and plenty of line capacity. Perfect reel for party boats at the rail.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:14 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Budget maybe $500 or so for rod and reel. Definitely want lever drag. Not sure of necessity of 2 speed at this stage but I never had nor used a 2 speed before
Old 08-15-2019, 01:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Chunking tuna setup advice

I guess I could sell you my tuna outfit, send you a PM
Old 08-15-2019, 02:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Look for a 7' 40-80lb class rod. It should have a long (12" min.) butt and a long (10" min.) fore grip. The 7' length is nice to have when the fish makes a run under the boat and you need to "follow" it under to keep your line off the keel. The long butt grip is also nice to have during this same scenario. In party boat tuna fishing, the rail is your friend. This is where the long fore grip comes into play. You lay the fore grip on the rail (fulcrum) to advantage the angler during the fight.
THAT SAID: I've yet to find this exact rod on a retail (non-custom) shelf. That's kinda what led ME into custom rod building. I couldn't buy what I wanted so I learned to do it myself. Soooo, if you're not interested in a rod building addiction, just try to find something similar. You'll probably have to compromise on the butt or fore grip.
As far as a reel goes...Shimano TLD 30 2 speed. Loaded with 60lb mono. Good starting point.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I worked as a mate on a local party boat for years and If this is your first trip I would suggest renting a rod and reel. et a lay of the land and make sure you like it before investing in a rod and reel. If you love it, you can invest in a nice rod and reel.

When you are selecting a rod and reel keep in mind that tuna fishing from a party boat is very different than fishing on a private boat or 6 man charters. You have more lines in the water, you are higher off the water and the vessel cannot maneuver to chase your fish. It is entirely up to the angler (and the mate) to keep your line free of tangles, prevent the line from rubbing on the hull and making quick moves over under over other lines and if necessary the anchor line. That being said you want a longer rod and heavier line for fishing on a party boat than what you would normally use. My suggestion would be a rod of 7 feet in length paired with a reel that can handle 60-80lb mono. I used a 6/0 Senator very effectively, but if the budget allows a lever drag reel is definitely worth the investment. The longer rod helps keep the line off the hull and lets you get the rod tip down in the water if the fish goes under the boat, it also makes it easier to pass it under the pulpit and get the tip up over the heads of another angler coming down the rail.

My favorite set up for party boat tuna is a 7ft gator Glass rod made by Kevin Bogan paired with a Penn International 30 spooled with 60lb mono. I can use it to chunk and it can sling a jig a mile (underhand). It is a great all-around rod for party boat tuna and if the big boys show up in the slick it is capable of putting them on deck.

If you plan on using braid, make sure you check with the captain before you spend the money. Some boats do not allow it. Drop-in on Kevin Bogan and he has never steered me wrong.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

4/0 senator wide spool on a 6-6" 30-50lb rated rod spooled up with 50lb test.
this set up has caught tuna for decades.not allot of money,easy to operate and can be used for cod,shark and other fishes if you find tuna is not your thing.i have all the new stuff but still like jigging my tuna with the 4/0.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunker dunker View Post
4/0 senator wide spool on a 6-6" 30-50lb rated rod spooled up with 50lb test.
this set up has caught tuna for decades.not allot of money,easy to operate and can be used for cod,shark and other fishes if you find tuna is not your thing.i have all the new stuff but still like jigging my tuna with the 4/0.
TOO small.Party boat not private.Even private i would go bigger.

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired