NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Boat Recommendations - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-29-2014, 09:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Boat Recommendations

Another great buy from a great NJF guy

http://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67734
Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I might differ a bit on this.

Buying smaller than you want is frankly as waste of money. You're disappointed with the boat from day 1 and waiting to move up.

Frankly put you learn the boat your on, it's not theory. It's learning that boat. And it is very very unlikely you will get anywhere near what you paid for it. Don't get your hopes up there. It may happen with a dopey desparate seller. But not very likely. Boats are poor investments on holding value even if you leave it in a garage and never used it.

And yes I do like Palm Beaches too. Very not frills hardy CC boat. A fishing boat.

Any chance of wifey to watch fireworks? Then you need a pee closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fin_s_guy View Post
http://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68581

I'm sure you saw this....but this is a solid deal on an entry level boat. Palm Beach boats are well made and this one is set up to go. Get a couple years out of her and get your feet wet. You could probably sell her for as much as you paid with proper maintenance.

If I were looking, I'd buy this in a heartbeat!
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 04-29-2014, 10:27 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That's what I meant more or less. He is looking at 18-20' boats and starting out on the water. Learning the boat is the first lesson. Learning the waters, trailering, launching, maintenance, reading GPS, weather conditions, boating etiquette...etc. There's A LOT to learn.

For $5000.00 you get the boat, motor, and trailer. What's not to like about that?
You dont have to be a woman to know when on the water and you have to go...you go! It's the red ring of shame. AKA....Bucket Ring! Haha!!!

He could always go bigger later.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

15-20k budget can get u a nice 21-23 ft center in this economy ...keep ur eyes out , dont rush into buying something just to get outnon the water i looked for almost a year prior to buying mine . check the fisherman for classifieds , boat trader , craigslist , ebay .... deals are out there just need to fined them. my buddy just got the deal of the century , 1000.00 for 2000 seaswirl striper ,150 ocean runner all in great shape...boat was worth 10-11 on nada ...he even got a trailer in perfect condition ...with the sale ...will u get that kind of deal prob Not but tje deals are out there keep your eyes peeled
Old 04-30-2014, 01:29 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

i saw a 23 or 24 pursuit, late 80's or early to mid 90's on mantaloking road the other day.it was a straight inboard with tons of room and a small front cuddy if I saw it right. the boat was immaculate and hull was in good shape. the reliability of a straight inboard is comfort most wont know on a smaller boat like mine, also a 24 foot inboard, and yes the extra room and length really wont hinder you going solo. take it from some one who goes solo all the time the extra 2 or 3 feet make a huge difference in comfort and security.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:14 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I bought a 2005 pioneer 197 sport fish last year I also had a 17' skiff these are great boats. I also looked at a lot of the boats u are looking at I have the boat at atlantic highlands if u would like too check it out. It has a 150 optimax on it lots of power great in bad weather. Theses boats have great reviews check out pioneerboatowners.com great site. We fish with 5 of us some times lots of room and the family loves it. Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:30 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thank you Gentlemen for the advise. I really appreciate the listings and I will not rush into anything. However, with the amount of money I'm planning to spend, I'm looking for something less then 10 years old.

I will also start looking for a larger boat. But I don't want to go to big. I believe the cost of running and maintaining a boat has a direct relationship with its size. I have had my 17' cc for 10 yaers and really love the boat. But it has limitations. Right now it costs me $60 in gas per trip and I don't think twice about going out 2 to 3 times a week. However, if that moves over $100, I might have second thoughts. I was hoping to hear from people who have been on the types of boats I was looking at and hear if they are capable of making a run to the rocks on an average day.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Anything really under twenty ft you would have to pick ur days. my 26 ft with twin150 will get 2 mpg so they don't burn to much. maintenance is a different story two motors is double a single motor really no matter the size is still same maintenance I would recommend at least a twenty ft boat for the Money your spending and if you would like to explore a little more of the ocean side. As someone said you don't want to keep upgrading get something you can use everywhere. I'm not saying it's a good idea but I've seen single motor 22 ft boats in the canyons stupid yes but shows they can do a lot again good luck pete
Old 04-30-2014, 07:45 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I don't know if this helps you, but I had a 22 ft. Keylargo WA with a 150 Yamaha 2 stroke. (2002). Took many trips around the Hook in some fairly snotty conditions. The boat handled the conditions well at 18-22 mph. It cruised at 22-24 mph at 4000 RPM and burned about 8 gallons/hr. A 4 stoke will give you better performance. I now own a 23' Tidewater w/ a 250 Yamaha that burns around 9-10 gph at 4000 RPM and cruises at 27-30 MPH. My personal opinion and comfort level would be a boat in the 22-24 foot range with a high freeboard. I think this size range would allow you to fish on days that are a little sporty and still feel safe.
I hope this helps. Good luck on your search.

John
Old 05-01-2014, 08:46 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Picked up my 19 foot polar (my first boat) for $5000 with trailer and motor. Boat and motor are 2004. Love it. This is my second season with it. I take it outside the hook often. The boat has high gunnels and a nice size beam for a 19 footer. I even had it out to the SRR once (18 miles out). The nice thing with the 19 is I can trailer and launch in different places. Also nice to work on her in the back yard. Great size to learn a the basics and I learned quick. Still learning but having fun while doing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	68591  

Last edited by shrimpman steve; 05-01-2014 at 08:48 AM..