NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

looking for a marina next year - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 09-21-2010, 07:37 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: looking for a marina next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lou
You can run outside the cans from the Oceanic bridge for short distance to Sea Bright, once thru that 36 bridge past Bahrs you can run outside the channel all the way to mouth of the bay. A word of caution , this section of river is heavily polsiced on WE so pay attn.
My boat drew a little over three ft. so stayinf in tight to the cans you'll be OK.
I'm in no way telling you to run this route w/o first familarizing youerself w/ the river. If you go go to the Channel Club it's as stated about 8 to tip of SH.
A good chart & DF plus gaining local exppierance in making this run should be first & foremost on your list. I did not do it in late fall on NW blowout days, I took the channel under those conditions. Fog or nite always used channel that goes w/o saying !!
Anyway you cut it it's can be 30 mins in the river to the mouth of the bay. Like was stated earlier it's tough to plaese your wifre at a dock that offers nothing but rock N roll seating via passing wakes. Look around that's the best advice.
Some great fishing docks this can be an issue due to their location.
With my boating experience that sounds like I would be one second from being a news story

Does anybody have any thoughts on someone new to the game running the canal?? Going to look at Comstock and Baywood...how much longer will this add to my time to get thru the inlet

A pool is not mandatory would just be a luxury that we could do without..hell the boat is surrounded by a really big pool
Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Comstock is an hour run to the inlet- we also kept our boat down there for a while. Not sure where baywood is, I'm betting about the same. If you want the boat to fish, get a marina close to where you'll be fishing. If you don't, it will soon become a chore because it will take you 2 hrs to get fishing between getting ready and getting there (gotta get to the spot after you break the inlet). I found it wasn't worth the time, imo. I can go on a PB, get bait given to me, someone else finds the fish and anchors, and I don't have to clean the boat, and it's cheaper. I kinda miss being able to fish whenever I wanted, but I like this way better. Just pointing that out so that you think about it before you make the commitment and end up not liking it like my family did.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:56 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks Ryan, that is about what I thought, looks like I am going to have to start donating blood regularly, pony up and stay at Crystal Point
Old 09-22-2010, 05:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

if it took you an hour to get to the inlet from comstock you must have done 5 mph the whole way. im further back than you and it takes me 40 min.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

My memory may not be the greatest in the world. It could have been less, but it was without a doubt over a 1/2 hr. The hr may have included stuff like train bridge waits or whatnot, but I remember it being too long to actually get anything done. I may have also not been at comstock- It was a while ago. I think I may have been at Wherlen Bros. instead, but I know one thing about the ride- It was too long!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:30 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Try Twin Lights Marina in Highlands. Rack storage, 20 minute to the hook, showers and great places to eat nearby (keep the wife happy). Also great people. Call Wayne at 732-872-7200 tell him Jim sent you.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC1965
Try Twin Lights Marina in Highlands. Rack storage, 20 minute to the hook, showers and great places to eat nearby (keep the wife happy). Also great people. Call Wayne at 732-872-7200 tell him Jim sent you.
How much per foot for rack storage?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:23 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC1965
Hi Jim,

That is definitely one of the places I am going to check out.
We are going to do overnights on the boat on weekends so we aren't going to do rack storage but at any rate do you know if there is a lot of current there? I need my first marina to be somewhat easy to get into.

Thanks for your help,

Mark
Old 09-23-2010, 04:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

twin lights does have a fair amount of current. if your looking for an easy spot to get in and out of without a lot current your going to have to go through the cannel. try dales yacht basin or shrader.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn911
Thanks Captain Lou..the channel club certainly would make the wife happy and myself as well...how far of ride is it to the hook from there??
tha channel club is nice but exspensive, my marinan is right next to the channel club,The warfside marina. if you look at the channel club from the water my marina is to the left, the brown condos. People rent out there slips and you get a shower/bathrooms, a picnic area, and a biult in pool. This year we had hardly any boats there. I think it's aroun 95 or 100 dollars a foot. The docks all have locking gates, electric hook up, and water. you also are able to put a cleaning station and dock box. very clean and nice docks check it out. The warfside marina/condos.ps you also get 2 parking spots